[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, is there like a compendium of all the Greek myths

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 300px-Parthenon_from_west.jpg (22KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Parthenon_from_west.jpg
22KB, 300x225px
Hey /lit/, is there like a compendium of all the Greek myths in chronological order? Like, a Greek bible?

I would like to read Greek myths to my daughter at night before bed, but the ones I tried to read assumed so much knowledge of past myths, that I ended up lost.
>>
I wouldn't recommend it normally since it's just something that repeats the source material, but Hamilton's Mythology might be just what you're looking for. Also, you plan on explaining to your daughter at bedtime what rape is?
>>
Get the Robert Graves all-in-one collection. That's what I was read as a kid. There are kid's retellings out there, depends on how old she is I suppose. Go for the originals and best.
>inb4 Montaigne joking with his father in Greek and Latin at the age of 4.
>>
>>9782034
>Also, you plan on explaining to your daughter at bedtime what rape is?
and then zeus forced europa to make babies with him - done
>>
>>9782022
what's the examples of rape in greek mythology? there's more incest than rape.
>>
>>9782082
sorry, replied wrongly.
the correct one: >>9782034
>>
>>9782082
Antiope raped by Zeus
Cassandra raped by Ajax the lesser
Europa raped by Zeus
Hera raped by Zeus (married him to cover shame)
Leda raped by Zeus
Medusa raped by Poseidon
Odysseus raped by calypso
Philomela raped by tereus
Phoebe and hilaeira raped by castor and pollux
Persophone raped by Hades
>>
I cannot more highly recommend the D'Aulieres' Book of Greek Myths. It's the book that introduced me to Greek mythology at a young age. The book contains a great many myths in a roughly chronological order, in which each tale builds on the one before it. The stories are presented in a mode that is understandable by children but invites them to explore further, and are accompanied by beautiful hand drawn illustrations that still inform my mental picture when I read Apollodorus or Hesiod.
>>
>>9782109
Also several unsuccessful attempts at raping Athena
>>
>>9782109
Hades kidnapped Persephone
Zeus seduced Europa

Antiope raped by Zeus, Medusa by Poseidon and Hera by Zeus, are these rapes on Hamilton's Mythology?
>>
>>9782145
Kidnap, seduce and rape are nearly equivalent in Greek mythology.
Who could say no to Zeus or Hades?

I haven't read Hamilton's summary
>>
There's no chronology for myths, there not even any definitive versions of myths. you're talking about an oral culture, and one where the differences between cities and regions in greece was as vast as different nations today. Most of what you associate with "greek myth" is generally cobbled together from fragments of Athenian culture, everything from poetry to pottery shards.
>>
>>9782121
This.
Bought it for my niece's birthday. It is as great as anon says.
>>
>>9782121
actually this. i remember reading this, it was absolutely fantastic
>>
File: 41w9WXaEmtL.jpg (25KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
41w9WXaEmtL.jpg
25KB, 329x500px
>>
>>9782022
Metamorphoses is great, but probably not something you would want to read to your daughter
>>
>>9782109
>Odysseus raped by calypso
Not true. One of the greatest heroes couldn't be raped by a woman
>>
>>9782125
Good, maybe this guy will raise an Athena and not a wimp like Persephone.

>inb4 tfw no grandkids b/c warrior virgin goddess
>>
Ovidio's Metamorphosis has all the Greek Mythology you need to know
>>
>>9782022
D'aulaires Book of Greek Myths was my jam as a kid, must've read it a few dozen times.
>>
>>9782109
You forgot to add Apollo raping every hole he comes across.
>>
http://www.theoi.com/
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.