[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if i publish on amazon under a pseudonym? Then when it fails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1461208553354.jpg (408KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1461208553354.jpg
408KB, 800x800px
What if i publish on amazon under a pseudonym? Then when it fails no one will be able to trace that failure to me and conventional publishers will still be available as an option to me.

Please give me your insight.
>>
if it's going to fail why are you doing it?
>>
>>9779028
because of the 10 or so people who will read it, makes me happy. But i still want to try publishing normally, is just that that will take way more time.
>>
>>9779028
>experience can only be gained by success
Are you retarded? Not defending OP, but your point seems contradictory.
>>
>>9779007
>ywn look like that
what books help me with these feels
>>
if it fails nobody would even notice. thousands of people publish on amazon, the average average (mode) number of purchases is 0. just do it off the chance that it might be a success.
>>
A pseudonym could only help, and if it's successful any publisher would be able to use that to promote whatever they would publish. Good luck on getting a publisher though.
>>
>>9779042
Someone told me that when i send my stuff to editors then they would check my background as a writer and if they notice i self published some books that had few purchases they wont give me any attention. Effectively damning myself to never being famous as a writer.

>>9779039
The Sea Wolf by Jack London.
>>
>>9779056
>thinks publishers expend the time or effort to do 'background checks'
Lmao

Publishers give 0 shit about you unless you immediately impress them. Which is unlikely even for genuinely talented writers. You need to enter this process like something of a used car salesman - you already know what you're hocking is crap, and you need to just keep hocking it until you find the right buyer.

Now, a publisher who's actually interested in your submission might check other works you've put out there, but that's not going to change their reaction - they'd only be interested in what you're submitting to them then and now, not random shit you put out in the past.
>>
>>9779085
Are you sure? Im too easily convinced, but i really cant find info about this. I know that publishing on amazon is useless if i dont do extensive marketing -and i suck at that- but the idea of 5 people reading my stuff is good enough for me to do it.
>>
>>9779090
Look, every good book you've ever read has been rejected dozens of times.
Publishers ARE NOT LITERARY CRITICS. All they care about is if your book will make money. They do not care if you wrote Fanfiction dot net series in 8th grade, they care if the works you are submitting to them will be profitable.

They don't even bother with real rejection letters, most of the time you get a form letter saying they're not interested. They get dozens or even hundreds of submissions regularly, depending on the size of the publisher in question. They barely care to give you time of day - why the Hell you'd think they'd be doing 'background checks' on submissions where they aren't even initially interested, much less on works where they already think they can make money, is beyond me.
>>
>>9779110
Alllllright then, ill publish my stuff then just to be happy. But ill take my time.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>9779206
If you ever feel discouraged just remember - someone published Fifty Shades of Gray, a literal goddamn Twilight fanfiction. You cannot embarrass yourself out of publication IF your writing is syntactically solid and has an audience. Its just a process of continual trial-and-error refinement.

If you can't match those criteria, move to Japan.
>>
>>9779028
>doesn't have any values
>>
>>9779242
Which publisher did Fifty Shades of Grey?
>>
>>9779007
Go ahead and assume it'll fail, get over yourself, and write something worthwhile. While I generally despise the Hemingwayish attitude to writing, there is some truth to it. Grow a fucking pair and write something, like Herman Melville did, and prepare to die alone with no one ever having read it. Unless you want to sale. In which case go get an MFA, emulate the National Book Award winner (or just be black), and then you won't have to worry about pseudonyms because they'll be gargling your marbles to publish your stuff without honestly having read a single sentence of your work.
>>
>>9779007
Are you publishing a paperback or an ebook?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.