[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok I've done it, here's a non-meme Start With the Sumerians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

File: start with the sumerians.jpg (725KB, 2700x2520px) Image search: [Google]
start with the sumerians.jpg
725KB, 2700x2520px
Ok I've done it, here's a non-meme Start With the Sumerians chart. The other charts are focused on primary sources, which is what I've done here. Hopefully some people will get a taste of the earliest literature in history, I've certainly enjoyed doing so.
>>
>>9777949
Not gonna lie, I really want to read this
>>
>>9777949
This is really fucking strong.
>>
That's really nice of you
Now I have a new meme
>>
Does Writings from Ancient Egypt include Sebayt wisdom literature? And why is there no Ancient Egypt: Anatomy of a Civilization by Kemp?
>>
>>9777949
This is a beautiful chart. I'd really like to make my own chart. How did you make it?
>>
File: thonk.png (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
thonk.png
35KB, 500x500px
>no Jean Bottéro
>>
>nothing on the Babylonians or Assyrians
>not even Hammurabi's code
>>
>>9778374
>Does Writings from Ancient Egypt include Sebayt wisdom literature?
Yes, the wisdom lit inclided in it is:

Teaching of Ptahotep
Teaching of King Amenemhat I
A Loyalist Teaching
Be A Writer
Teaching of Khety
Teaching of Ani

>And why is there no Ancient Egypt: Anatomy of a Civilization by Kemp?
Because it focuses on literary sources and that book leans a lot on archaeology. A Start With The Greeka chart doesn't include books on Greek archeological finds. Also /lit/ has a hard-on for primary sources, so I'm obliging.

>nothing on the Babylonians or Assyrians
>not even Hammurabi's code
I think you'll find practically all of the Mesopotamian section is Babylonian and Assyrian, and the Code of Hammurabi is found in Pritchard's 2-volume anthology

>>9778446
Threw it together in GIMP
>>
>>9778728
>Threw it together in GIMP
Any suggestions on font, color, style, and theme?
>>
>>9778728
It might be a good idea to have an extra "history" section" while you're at it. Archaeology could greatly inform about the context of a lot of this literature.
>>
>>9778741
I tend to use a nice serif font for titles and larger text, makes it look more professional. A simple sanf font for smaller text makes it easier to read and visually differentiates iit from the titles. For a basic chart like this, either use a very simple color-coded scheme, or include a key if the categories are more complicated. For background, a dull, relatively neutral color is good because it's just a backdrop and not the focus. A lot of charts I see on 4chan use grey or black, which is as neutral as you can get, but a little bit of color makes it nicer to look at. Don't use a white background because it looks like you made it in MS Paint and/or are lazy.

I'd check out /gd/, it's a pretty cool board.
>>
>>9778771
*sans
>>
>>9778771
Wow, all of this is incredibly helpful, thank you for the advice!
>>
File: 1457501740551.jpg (89KB, 577x800px) Image search: [Google]
1457501740551.jpg
89KB, 577x800px
I appreciate this list OP, but how are we supposed to believe your judgement? Can you tell us how you decided on these specifically?
>>
>>9777949
Consider adding Stories from Ancient Canaan to this. It's notes linking The Hebrew Bible to Sumerian works through the Ugarits is super powerful.
>>
File: 37541.jpg (46KB, 318x470px) Image search: [Google]
37541.jpg
46KB, 318x470px
>>9777949
add this and yer golden
>>
>>9778728
>A Start With The Greeka chart doesn't include books on Greek archeological finds.
This isn't correct, there are books on the history of ancient Greece in the charts and you can't do history without archaeology, especially not in antiquity, and even more so you can't study Egyptian mythology and religion without art.
>>
>>9777949
The absolute madman
>>
>>9779165
Can't you see it's written on a chart? What more do you need?
>>
nice chart, but i cant even find half of those books on any site sadly
>>
>>9780408
You could just buy them you know.
>>
>>9780417
LOL!
>>
If you're going to include Egyptian literature, you should probably pick a better title than "Start with the Sumerians". You should also probably recommend an Egyptian history of some sort, as I feel a historical context is extremely important in understanding Egyptian writings.

Thank you for recommending an actually good Book of the Dead translation and not Budge.
>>
>>9780455
>If you're going to include Egyptian literature, you should probably pick a better title than "Start with the Sumerians"
"Start with early civilization"
"Start with cradle of Civilization"
"Start with the cradle"
>>
File: start with the sumerians v3.jpg (1MB, 3000x3559px) Image search: [Google]
start with the sumerians v3.jpg
1MB, 3000x3559px
There's been loads of excellent suggestions, I've now made it much more comprehensive to take those into account. Yes, I know the Hittites aren't strictly near eastern, and I partly added them to fill up the space, but they come into Egyptian and Assyrian history (plus they're hella interesting).

I'm keeping it as "Start with the Sumerians" because it's catchy and /lit/ likes memes.
>>
>>9777949
lol I hope this actually memes enough dumb anons into spending >$100 on two volume academic anthologies of ancient near eastern literatures.
>>
>>9781512
The Pritchard anthologies can be found very cheaply actually, lots of 2nd hand copies around.
>>
>>9781512
This is why the chart is not enough, the Greeks must also die
>>
>>9781521
Also Carthage must be destroyed
>>
>Start with the Sumerians
>read the egyptians and other non-sumerians
>>
>>9777949
You should consider adding some of Zacharia Sitchins seminal translations of the cuniform tablets - your chart is unfortunately incomplete without at least one of his works.
>>
File: image.jpg (163KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163KB, 900x675px
>>9781500
OP WHY ARE YOU SO BASED
>>
>>9781620
>>9777949
Where's Sitchin? This has got to be a joke.
>>
>>9781620
>>9781661
Have faith in OP. My dick is already rock-hard and dripping pre-cum from such a comprehensive list. Add the cuneiform tablets and I'll ejaculate uncontrollably all over my room.
>>
>>9781672
My thoughts exactly
>>
File: Nile-gods.jpg (85KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Nile-gods.jpg
85KB, 450x450px
Dude, just listen to NILE. The dude from NILE has a degree in this shit and if you listen to all their albums, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
>>
>>9781690
Will do what genre? It looks like some sort of avant-prog-metal but im open to listening to anything with heart.
>>
>>9781721
death metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmX_lGwL1l4
and be sure to buy their cds, the booklets have lots of egyptian history with the historical significance behind each song.
>>
>>9781721
It's pretty hardcore death metal tbqh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPYQB7AsSkg
>>
>>9781742
>>9781745
Nice thanks fellas
>>
>>9777949
I've read the book by Stephanie Daley and the Enuma Elish was very good but I found the more fragmented stories hard to read and understand.

I realize they do the best they can to be accurate in a language that seems like it should be impossible to translate. Akkadian is so strange.
>>
>>9781690
I'm not a big fan of their stuff, but this album in particular is balls to the wall good.
>>
I wont reed any of those books but thanks OP you did good
>>
>>9781512
>spending >$100 on two volume academic anthologies
You can get them for less than $30 each new, and dirt cheap used.
>>
>not starting with the Neolithics
>>
Who cares what ancient sand niggers think
Study the greeksb
>>
>>
>>9777949
reading 10 books
>>
>>9783262
Finally we get some real scholarship up in here - put it on the chart OP.
>>
Where do you go after having resumed with the romans?
>>
>>9783616
Wherever you want.
>>
>>9783616
The scholastics and medieval poetry, I guess
>>
>>9777949
Bro this is a nice chart. I have to make a powerpoint later, kik?
>>
>>9777949
>>9781500

This is a great 'start', so to speak.

Perhaps the correct guidance is "start with early Bronze Age" literature.

The earliest literature happened in the 3300-1200 time frame, in the fertile crescent geographic area.

That means Sumer, Egypt, Assyria, Hatti, etc.

My only criticism would be: you list books popularly available in physical form, whereas there are more useful if specialized editions that are available "online" -- as it were.
>>
>>9781500
Have you considered adding the Bible, or the Persian Avestas to this list?
Also, if you're looking for a good compendium of Ancient Egyptian lit, try Miriam Lichtheim's three volume compilation.
>>
Which of these books mention El or yhw3/Yahu?
>>
that's a nice civilization you've got there......................

would be a shame if someone were to...... collapse it!
>>
>>9784359
Stories of Ancient Canaan compare Ugaritic El (Zeus-Like) to Hebrew El and other points of inheritance.
>>
>>9784413
Indeed... also...

https://www.amazon.com/Ancestral-Journeys-Peopling-Venturers-Vikings/dp/0500292078
>>
>>9777949
saved and thanks. also >>9780455 is right start with the sumerians isn't correct. read the sumerians would be more appropriate.
>>
>>9777949
I'm interested in the time period, but the form of writing blocks me.
Any good contemporary recommendations about these times and places?
>>
>>9785005
OP added a bunch of history books >>9781500
>>
>>9777949
Godspeed you magnificent bastard
>>
>>9784220
>My only criticism would be: you list books popularly available in physical form, whereas there are more useful if specialized editions that are available "online" -- as it were.

Which are?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.