[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What classifies something in Eastern Philosophy as true or false?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: acidkaaba.jpg (141KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
acidkaaba.jpg
141KB, 1500x1500px
What classifies something in Eastern Philosophy as true or false? In Western Philosophy, we have practical logic, truth values, empiricism, et cetera. But it seems like all the big Eastern Philosophers just made shit up and proclaimed it as truths. They don't ever try to rigorously prove whatever they're saying.
>>
>>9774185
Which Eastern philosophies have you studied and who's writing have you read? Also have you done any secondary readings?
I can't help but think this has simple answers if you spent a minute or two actually studying it
>>
For every irrational eastern philosopher there is an irrational western philosopher. For every rational western philosopher there is a rational eastern philosopher. Try to know what you're talking about before running your mouth, kid.
>>
>>9774206
Confucius. Lots of statements and claims, not very much proof.

Here's an example:

>forks require you to stab your food
>that's barbaric and (metaphorically) violent
>therefore one should use chopsticks
I'm not dissing the custom, but it's not rigorous philosophy.
>>
>>9774219
Confucius is like the Joel Osteen of Eastern religion
>>
>>9774233
Then who represents rational eastern philosophy?
>>
>>9774219
That's because Eastern "philosophy" prior to introduction of Western philosophy was called religion.
>>
>>9774244
What in, Eastern culture, is more attuned to philosophy then?
>>
>>9774252
Mathematics.
>>
>>9774235
Neo-Confucianism
>>
>>9774185
Eastern philosophy doesn't exist per se, it's mysticism and general wisdom.
>>
>>9774219
Unironically really made me think, guess I'd better read more eastern philosophy
>>
>>9774219
whoa

that actually makes a lot of sense
>>
>>9774274
Sort of like Heraclitus and Marcus Aurelius and Nietzsche
>>
>>9774219
Confucianism is more like secular religion—you're not going to find the same emphasis on analytical rigor in Eastern philosophy because it's bound up much more closely with other disciplines, e.g, civics, religion, law
>>
>>9774612
>Confucianism is more like secular religion
???

Confucius was literally a theist, stop reading wikipedia or whatever your getting this from.
>>
>>9774244
Philosophy and religion have overlapped for most of history. The primary purpose of religious myths was to provide a cultural touchstone for its perception of the world and its underlying social philosophy. The seperation of the two is a recent concept that came into being with the rise of Abrahamic faiths.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.