[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this book? I really liked it. Looks not only at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: sapiens.jpg (255KB, 1600x2386px) Image search: [Google]
sapiens.jpg
255KB, 1600x2386px
Thoughts on this book?

I really liked it. Looks not only at humanity from a historical perspective, but studies the human condition philosophically as well, with interesting points about the importance of mythology in our shared existence and the stability of society.

Anyone else who has read this have an opinion? Is Homo Deus (his new book) worth reading?
>>
>>9773743
>Is Homo Deus (his new book) worth reading?
I read this and Sapiens not yet. Homo Deus is speculative but I think we need these kinds of books to think about the future (which we cannot predict but at least think of scenarios)

What do you think of Sapiens? Can you tell me about the anthropology behind it? I have some interest in anthropology but it seems some of their ideas are a bit sketchy. Like the idea of societies without hierarchy (though I could agree it was much more flexible back then)

And I do not mean the idea that agriculture was a mistake I can follow that, though between hunter-gatherer and now I couldn't be luckier, yet the time between hunter-gatherer and now (as a first worlder) must be the worse

If this interests you I suggest checking out books on cultural evolution
>>
>>9773813
Aye, I enjoyed that it didn't just assume we have it better now. It rightly points out the improvements in health and so on, but I find the argument that our happiness hasn't necessarily increased (and the question of whether it even can be) interesting.

I'd respond to more of your post but I'm not sure English is your first language. Could you rephrase a little?
>>
How does it stack up
>>
>>9773870
>Could you rephrase a little?
Ok sure. All I want to know:
Some anthropologists think that hunter-gatherer societies lacked any hierarchy. Does this book go into that?
>I'm not sure English is your first language.
No, but I also do not put effort into making it 'correct' unless I'm crafting something special. I'm going quickly from threads to threads now.
>>
>>9773944
Yeah, wasn't meaning to be a prick, just wanted to make things a tad clearer.

It explores different options but ultimately admits how little evidence we have on the social hierarchis of prehistoric culture makes it a near impossible task, even modern hunter gatherer tribes are hugely varied.
>>
>>9773920
don't read it if you value your time. it's trash.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.