[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been planning to get into the Cthulhu Mythos, but it's so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Been planning to get into the Cthulhu Mythos, but it's so fucking huge that I have no idea where to start (other than Call of Cthulhu) and what order to read the rest of his shit after that. Any suggestions?
>>
>>9771345
not every thing Lovecraft wrote has an elder god in it, scratching to get into our universe. "The Color Out of Space" is a pretty good read, and there aren't any tentacles in that.

suggestion: get hold of any of the dozen or so Lovecraft collections and read the stories at random. if there aren't enough tentacles, or if there are too many loathsome squamous fish-men, then .. skip that story and try another one.

seriously, do you need to be told how to read?
>>
>>9771345
>>>/sffg/
>>
>>9771345
Try the Case of Charles Dexter Ward or the Dunwich Horror. They excellently portray eldritch forces while not overdoing it. My personal favorite is The Shadow Out of Time, though.
>>
>>9771345
Mountain of Madness is alright. It's only 70 pages or so, a good loght read to get a feeling for the mood of Lovecraft. Ultimately I found it anticlimactic but I accept that the point. It's more about tension and morbidity in imagery; anxiousness of the unknown lurching forward to present itself, but you flee in the shadow of its psychological foreboding, which is actually more realistic than the sacrificisl B-movie actors that shout, "Who's there?" and then forward charge to their own mortality.
>>
>>9771883
Actually Lovecraft has literary merit and does not belong in the trash general
>>
>>9771957
Lovecraft is edgy contrarian YA pleb shit. If it was really good he wouldn't have struggled to get publication in pulp fiction penny mags.
>>
>>9771960
YA level for 1900s maybe, but today? Fucking genius and pioneer.
>>
I'm pretty sure there's a chart on the wiki.
>>
>>9771981
>tfw your writing gets smarter as time goes on
>tfw a shitpost on 4chan constitutes the greatest ascension of literary divinity in the year 2117

but who was phone?
>>
>>9771345
I've read all of lovecraft, but honestly, listening to the wayne june readings are wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCbN-op7qL6dg9T8S43Vb787nwYJRMViG
>>
>>9771960
>If it was really good he wouldn't have struggled to get publication in pulp fiction penny mags
>All great books receive immediate recognition
>>
>>9771866
adding to this, not every Lovecraft story within or without the mythos is good. Just a fair warning, they can be a bit predictable and samey.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.