[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does lit always tell everyone to major in something practical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: bPd2V5y.jpg (749KB, 4124x1908px) Image search: [Google]
bPd2V5y.jpg
749KB, 4124x1908px
Why does lit always tell everyone to major in something practical but complain that no one makes good art anymore or write well etc...? Shouldn't we be telling smart people to go into the humanities in order to save it? It seems as though the current state of affairs in humanities departments and the general attitude toward humanities departments is what happens when the LCD of educated people stay there and propagate.
>>
>>9767948
>going to school to make art
>>
>>9767948
Different people give different advice...
If the path they took worked well for them they suggest it, if it went poorly they warn against it.
>>
>>9767948
this: >>9767955
People are morons. Everyone wants art, but we've been conditioned to see creative arts as "lazy" and "useless" despite the fact that art has been around since before humans knew how to cook their food and has been instrumental in our understanding of the world.

See The And and the Grasshopper. Art IS important and artists DO provide a service. It's just that it's intangible, so people don't give a shit. It's the same reason people say depression isn't real.
>>
>>9767948
As someone who writes fairly well and has had a few minor publications, I can tell you that you do not need to go to school to be write well. In fact you do not even need to be well read, though it absolutely helps. One can create good art as a hobby and still have a job/career. It all boils down to how passionate you are about your medium of choice.
>>
>>9767948
You can learn English and write better by avoiding school. If you're already a great author, the school will take you in to teach English and writing even if you don't have an English degree. It's a waste of money and will teach you nothing of value.
>>
>>9767948
>complain that no one makes good art anymore or write well
Usually there is some lag between
Correct me if wrong: but I thought Lovecraft, Nietzsche perhaps Emily Dickinson (this seems false) weren't appreciated until their deaths
>>
Almost no one who did good art graduated on something as useless as English literature.
>>
>>9767948
>>9768210
saying there's no good authors now is like saying there's no good music anymore. It's obnoxious, false, and you're outing yourself as being a superficial consumer of the medium at best. Art always reflects the time it's made in. Always and without exception, even if it's mimicking works made hundreds of years ago. It's unavoidable, so it's always changing and always different.

Saying that it's not good because it's not like it used to be is stupid and I hate you. (not you personally, but you know what I mean).

If someone says "there aren't any good books anymore", they're a retard, and any thinking man would scoff at them and pity them, but not enough to spend time with them.
>>
>>9767985
I don't know if you were misunderstanding my post or not but I wanted to make it clear I was belittling school and not art.
>>
>>9767948
An online anime board has zero influence on actually talented and intelligent people's life choices. This is retard zone.
>>
>>9767948
yeah I agree.
>tfw i wanted write films but I gave up on that because it was unrealistic, only to go to college and choose a history degree
I'm gonna die poor as shit one day, but I hope that I write something worth reading before then
>>
>>9767955
>not knowing anything about art history
>>9767991
this is a stupid comment that is made hilarious by its preface
>>9768210
true.
>>9768233
yea i think you're missing the point. The point isnt that good art isnt made anymore, its just that the art has never had such a low position in society since like... a long time. There are a ton of bad artists now, not necessarily that there arent any good ones. Of course 1920s Paris is an anomaly, but I think you're kidding yourself if havent realized this era has devalued art to a level that is uncommon to western civilization. My point is that if more smart people were encouraged to write and read instead of do science and math then there would be an increase in the amount of not only good art but more appreciators of it in general. Its been relegated to this obscure realm while people are more apt to appreciate business deals (see sports twitter if you dont believe me) or business endeavors (tech giants hold the role the artist did for the past few centuries, the influencer of consciousness on the society).
>>9768675
yea yea self hatred shut up
>>
>>9768755
>>not knowing anything about art history
>not knowing the internet exists
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.