[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is passive voice, how do I recognize it, and how do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 4986.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4986.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
What is passive voice, how do I recognize it, and how do I stop using it?
>>
>>9764025
The passive voice is being used by me. I'm using the active voice.
>>
>>9764025

basically passive voice is when u take ur object and u make it the subject of the sentence

the vase was broken by charles
charles broke the vase

here u can see how passive voice can be used as a rhetorical device - in the first example, attention is centered on the tragedy of the broken vase rather than charles' agency and incompetence, as in the second example.
>>
>>9764033
If you can add "by zombies" after the verb and the sentence still makes sense, the passive voice was used (by zombies).
>>
>>9764025
>how do I stop using it
Ignore the memes, it has its uses.
>>
>>9764025
The technical definition is a sentence construction where the subject is placed in the predicate of a transitive verb (any verb which takes an object). Like others have said, the test to see if a sentence is passive is to place "by zombies/him/etc" as that is the real subject of the sentence or by recognizing the use of the passive "to be" (am/are/is/was) followed by a verb ending in -ed in a sentence. Passive construction can drop the subject entirely and is discouraged because it is ambiguous, less forceful, and wordier than an active voice sentence.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.