[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it acceptable to read poetry in languages that you don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Dante.jpg (134KB, 670x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dante.jpg
134KB, 670x1000px
Is it acceptable to read poetry in languages that you don't understand? I read through The Divine Comedy; had no idea what was going on, but it was obviously pretty good.
>>
>>9757442
It's fine. You wont get the full experience as the poet intended, but you can glimpse enough aspects of it's greatness through a proper translation. Point in question; my Homer is Lombardo and I prefer his swift style of delivery over Lattimore's faithful adherence to the Greek.

It really depends on the poem, though. For Dante, I'd like to focus on his philosophical aspects, for which reason I prefer the accuracy of Longfellow.
>>
>>9757442

I looked at a facsimile of one of the oldest daodejing scrolls the other day and felt elevated
>>
>>9757514
I meant to ask whether or not it is acceptable to read untranslated poetry that is written in a language one cannot understand.
>>
>>9757514
>reading anything but Esolen's or James's translations of Dante
I didn't think it was possible to be this much of a pleb
>>
>>9757531
the serene complexity of chinese is enhanced when you cross your eyes and the symmetrical blocks meld into an aesthetic blur. those who understand will never comprehend this as their minds are fettered by things such as "meaning". highly recommend
>>
>>9757537
Is this some post-modern approach to literature – is this a mad attempt to express the incapability of the human mind to gain a definitive understanding of anything? Or are you, perhaps, retarded? I suppose you like the clang of the words, which you quite likely mispronounce anyway. Sounds goofy as fuck, but it's your time to waste after all.

>>9757541
>I've invested myself emotionally in these translations, so I'll deride all others in an attempt to feel secure about my choice and repel any suggestions that I might have missed certain nuances.
>>
>>9757640
Yeah, I doubt any translation ever is completely perfect, so different versions are going to give you different aspects of the original.
>>
>>9757537
>>I meant to ask whether or not it is acceptable to read untranslated poetry that is written in a language one cannot understand.
What the fuck?

Unless by "cannot understand", you mean, like, you're learning the language but aren't actually proficient at it, this is just fucking retarded.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.