[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For instance, lets compare "Starship Troopers" and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: thus spoke zarathustra.jpg (56KB, 408x430px) Image search: [Google]
thus spoke zarathustra.jpg
56KB, 408x430px
For instance, lets compare "Starship Troopers" and "A Farewell to Arms". The first is considered philosophical fiction, but the second is not. In both though, the author is trying to write fiction but also is trying to showcase their ideas. Do the philosophical fiction novels put the message first, and story second, and vise versa for the traditional fiction novel?
>>
>>9757381
My question was, What makes a philosophical fiction book "Philosophical Fiction". Also, who painted this?
>>
File: Walter Pater-1.jpg (12KB, 220x306px) Image search: [Google]
Walter Pater-1.jpg
12KB, 220x306px
The category melts about. "Legit" philosophical fiction is written by a philosopher, less legit would have a prominent philosophical theme, likely with two dimensional archetypal characters. If there is another overriding theme that puts the philosophical message on the back burner, I'd probably call it something else.
Pater's Marius the Epicurean is of the second type. Great prose, beautiful settings. Simple characters.

Wenzel Hablik is the painter
>>
>>9757494
But what makes a theme not philosophical? If the theme is "War is Bad", wouldn't that be philosophical also?
>>
File: the-wave-1902.jpg (336KB, 1000x717px) Image search: [Google]
the-wave-1902.jpg
336KB, 1000x717px
>>9757679
The theme of war is one of the basic subjects of literature. (War, journey, romance, tragedy, comedy of errors, history/biography, mystery and science-fiction) Being pacifist or reveling in the glory of it isn't philosophical enough. The theme overrides its general and common philosophy. You can point to it when analyzing the piece, the philosophy can be found in it, but that's like pointing to the comedy of Star Wars. There's also romance in Star Wars, but they're not the overriding themes. Like I said, it all melts, like ice cream flavors.
>>
>>9757494
fuck you attention seeking tranny
>>
File: 1422150404494.jpg (372KB, 640x622px) Image search: [Google]
1422150404494.jpg
372KB, 640x622px
>>9757971
Goodbye, insecure little zit-face
>>
File: Virgil.jpg (159KB, 683x738px) Image search: [Google]
Virgil.jpg
159KB, 683x738px
>>9757976
>mfw i've btfo out of this same tranny for about 2 years
lmao
>>
>>9757381
What ideas is "A Farewell to Arms" trying to showcase? Trying to capture a certain feeling or even the essence of an abstract concept is not a philosophical idea.

>>9757679
The "War is bad" theme rarely goes beyond the statement and illustration of such a message. It would only be philosophical is it was examined philosophically i.e. through reason.
Does your "War is bad" book question and try to answer the question of why war is bad? And no,"Of course it's bad, because it makes people feel bad" is not logical analysis.
>>
>>9759809
I was referring to Farewell to Arms, and no, it doesn't. All it shows is the main character getting fucked over by the government he was fighting for.
>>
File: kekles.jpg (59KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
kekles.jpg
59KB, 675x450px
>>9758125

>he actually believes this
>tfw
>>
Starship Troopers is considered philosophical fiction because dumbasses don't understand the distinction between political theory and philosophy.

Also, Farewell to Arms is not speculative. That is not because it isn't in the future, but because it does not pose a question and try to answer it through reasoning. Crime & Punishment is an example of a non-futuristic, speculative fiction work widely deemed philosophical.
>>
>>9761655
im glad that someone is using this mans' face for reaction images. that vidz a goldmine
>>
>>9757396
Wenzel Hablick
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.