[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this nigga right here not make an sense to me? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: friedrich-hoelderlin-1-sized.jpg (25KB, 246x328px) Image search: [Google]
friedrich-hoelderlin-1-sized.jpg
25KB, 246x328px
Why does this nigga right here not make an sense to me? I don't understand any of his poems (they sound bretty kool tho). Am I just too much of a brainlet pleb?

I really liked Goethe's Faust Part I (part II seemed like the incoherent ramblings of a drunk urban vagrant), but I seem to have met my match with the work of Holderlin.
>>
>>9755734
its just post-lutheran german justifications of war mongering, whats not to get?
>>
>>9755741
Yeah but is this "Diotima" he speaks of just some camwhore slut?
>>
Faust II is on a completely different level than Faust I - when he wrote I Goethe was relatively young. He wrote II for the rest of his life and made it as dense as possible with as many references as possible. There's a reason German highschool usually only reads Faust I.

Are you reading Holderlin in translation?
>>
>>9755755
Yeah, in English. The probllem I have is understanding shit like this:

"With my own kind I lived and could grow for a day that was fleeting,
One by one they depart, gone from me into their sleep,
Yet you sleepers within me are wakeful, and in related
Soul an image of each, fugitive, lingers and rests.
And more living there you live on where the god-given spirit's
Joy rejuvenates all, all who have aged and the dead."

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with reading poetry. It just sounds so ambiguous and aethereal and metaphorical (but then Heidegger argues against such "metaphysical" interpretation of poetry, using Holderlin as an example). At least Rimbaud, Goethe, or Lermontov I can understand.
>>
>>9755753
Probably the 5th century BC philosopher..
>>
File: Whut.jpg (5KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
Whut.jpg
5KB, 221x228px
>>9755741
>Hölderlin
>justifications of war mongering
That simplification made me cringe.
>>
>>9755783
I don't know the context and have never read him before but it seems fairly straightforward
>>
>>9755734
read his Hyperion his ideas are pretty much all there (Diotima is a girl from the book, pretty much the incarnation of beauty/love), and he is realy not that hard to get (only ever read him in german tho)
most of his themes are
>disenchantment of the world/nature - death of the gods/the divine that gave nature it's soul
>conflict between solitude/nature and societ/social life
>Fate (in the greek sense)
>Home/Fatherland romantic
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.