[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like the Sprawl trilogy not only for the contents of the book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I like the Sprawl trilogy not only for the contents of the book but for the genre that it helped jump start... Now however, I'm finding it harder to enjoy Gibson's works because I found out what a fucking asshat he is.

I know I'm probably just being an unreasonable cunt but does anyone on /lit/ struggle to enjoy literature because they dislike the author?
>>
>>9753210
Why is he an asshat?
>>
>>9753210
That sort of thing doesn't bother me.
Kind of ironic that you posted a book called "agency" for this thread, you shouldn'tlet your feelings dictate your thoughts or sway your principals.
>>
>>9753223

He's an asshat because he's on-board with the whole Trump/Russian conspiracy that the media and segments of the government is trying to feed the population.

He's an asshat because he is very pro-Hillary. (His new book is even about her)

Just to clarify, I don't like politicians and I don't like Trump but to see Clinton and not see everything that is wrong with the governmental system, is either stupidity or blind ignorance.
>>
>>9753234
I know, its one of these things that I know is stupid but I can't seem to control my emotions. (Something I need to work on)

Its odd because I can watch a lot of movies with actors that I know are dipshits and still enjoy their material but it seems to be different with books.
>>
>>9753279
His new book also has half of the population dead. I don't think he has a sunny view of Clinton.

In general, there are a lot of intelligent older people who were part of the 60s-70s counterculture who just sort of fall in line with anti-Trump rhetoric. It's just the way of things. Thankfully he's not obnoxious about it.
>>
>>9753303
He said a vote against Clinton is a vote for Putin and Russia. (I might be paraphrasing slightly)
I just don't know how someone can believe something with absolutely no proof just because they want to believe it, its the epitome of idiocy.

I'm very anti-government but I find myself defending the American administration time and time again because people are choosing to hit them on their dodgy leprechaun and unicorn trade deals rather than actual problems.
>>
>>9753210
gibson wrote cyberpunk without understanding anything about how computers worked. so yes he captured (and created) an aesthetic but this belies the lack of internal understanding of how things are. it's not surprising that someone like that is oblivious and falls for external trappings. someone like that isn't going to research deeply on topics.
>>
>>9753328
Scrolling through his twitter feed, I can sort of see what you mean. But like I said, older countercultural types are almost all like this. I'm sure HST would be like this (which is why he killed himself). After a certain age you calcify, your positions rarely change, and you just get kind of lazy. That's the sad truth. For me, it doesn't take away from his writing, and especially not the classics he wrote in the 80s and 90s.

Anyway, he did post this (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/13/gop-operative-who-sought-clintons-emails-committed-suicide.html), for what it's worth. Another important thing to remember is that someone's twitter feed / interviews / what they have to say in order to maintain their art world, lit-crit connections is very different from what that person actually is. As someone who recently applied for a grant, the language i used to apply for that dog shit (think: lots of "stimulate inter-community dialogue" type garbage) is definitely not how I speak on a daily basis.
>>
>>9753364
I can see your point, I'm not sure it just being a public persona is much better though. Either way, to me he is now contributing to a big problem in today's society.

>HST would be like this
DON'T YOU DARE!
>>
I couldn't finish any of the Gibson novels I've tried.
>>9753347
This. Also, I think Bleeding Edge was an attempt to rewrite Pattern Recognition.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.