[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I regret studying literature, not only because I will probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: zizek-slavoj-image.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
zizek-slavoj-image.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
I regret studying literature, not only because I will probably struggle to pay rent for the rest of my life, but because I can't even enjoy reading anymore. I used to be able to read hundreds of books in a year, now I barely finish whatever I need to in my courses. Now when I get free time all I want to do is just watch tv all day and try not to think about anything. Anyone share this feeling?
>>
>>9749526
I've been playing a lot of video games because of my depression from unemployment. I still hold out hope that I can write a good novel however.
>>
You don't read to make money, making money is a byproduct of being learned. Were you reading for the sake of reading? Hundreds of books lead you to this state of lethargy and abandonment? Something's not right, take some time to reflect and try to find out what's really happening.
>>
>>9749581
Write about this hope you speak of. 3000 words should do it.
>>
File: 1499879462805.jpg (2MB, 2500x1685px) Image search: [Google]
1499879462805.jpg
2MB, 2500x1685px
>>9749526
Somewhat. Studied Philosophy and CS and couldn't find a decent job. Went on to study for an MSc in CS while working on specific skills currently in demand (I am to blame that I didn't learn programming to meet industry demands; I did just enough to complete the practice/lab works). While doing so I was starting to panic: NO JOBS! They all ask for 3-5 years of experience. I'm 27 already and I don't even care for CS, would rather be a writer.

I then let go from high expectations and applied for night shifts in elderly care. It pays the bills, it doesn't conflict with my uni lectures (I am still studying), I'll finish the degree and if I don't get a job I'll just continue to do elderly care and write/read in my afree time. This lifestyle won't attract a woman, but I'm free from worry and panic now.

Don't take things too seriously. If your parents are disappointed in you it's because tehy love bragging more than you. They hate having a loser son, but it really doesn't matter so much when you live for literature.
>>
>>9750609
>making money is a byproduct of being learned
>>
>>9750815
I was also confused about this
>>
I regret it because it's just women's studies lite.
>>
OP I went through a similar thing. I read for pleasure almost all my life but after becoming an English major in college I stopped reading books for pleasure for almost 3 years, I just came to associate reading with tedious work. You get over it though. I've managed to recover my love of reading, and there wasn't really any particular trick to it. I just eventually got over it.

Also don't despair about finding work, just broaden your horizons a bit and you'll be surprised what comes your way. I have a job now too, though it was a rough time immediately after college.
>>
>>9750815
>>9750819
When you're smart enough the government just starts sending you money
>>
This thread makes me feel better. Just yesterday I changed my major to math. I know majoring in math isn't really that great for job prospects, though at least I think I can find something.
>>
BAAAWWWW I WANT TO BE A NORMALFAGGGG BAAAWWWWW
>>
>>9750650
>They all ask for 3-5 years of experience
What they really mean by that is they want somebody with good soft skills. Because that's the component of the job you don't really get at college. Working in the industry is the best way to get soft skills, but its hard to get hired in the first place without them. It's rough if you can't get your foot in the door at a super low level entry position as an intern or trainee or something where they don't expect you to have much hard or soft skills, such opportunities are rare. Companies don't like having to train people from scratch. They don't want to hire some guy fresh out of college only to find out he can't into agile development cause he "prefers to work alone" or some shit.
>>
>>9750976
You are probably right. I think there is more to it than the social aspect. Tthey want to employ people who managed to last 3 years in a job because this minimizes risks of hiring slackers, people who are sick every month and so on. I asked my tutor regarding the job situation and he said that it'd help a lot to just work any job, even just as a cashier since work ethics is a major consideration for companies. Work ethics are universal for any job.

At the same time it probably looks bad on the CV to have worked only shit jobs so far. Eh, nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>9750878
In my case, it's different. I changed my major from mechanical engineering to English Literature. It's easy af and has a potential for me to earn lots of money than a 5-year-experienced engineer.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.