[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Reading the prologue of Jerusalem >"Turns left on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

>Reading the prologue of Jerusalem
>"Turns left on the avenue"
>Paragraph after paragraph of adjectives and descriptive scenes
>Finally dialogue
>Fourteen months pass
>"Mick turns left down the street"
>Adjectives
>mfw I just want to read about Swift-Footed Achilles and his uncontrollable rage

This is the first move I've made out of the classics. What is this? The Greeks were lively and virile, the intensity of epic poetry took me by surprise. When did literature become focused on setting and endless description?
>>
File: IMG_0051.jpg (2MB, 2824x3639px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0051.jpg
2MB, 2824x3639px
>>9747769
>he thought a comic book maker could write a full fledged maximalist novel
>>
>>9747842
Lmao what a retard
>>
>>9747857
ikr
>>
>>9747769
Alan Moore is used to writing autistically detailed scene descriptions for comic artists, also this book is about his town in the first place
It does get more bearable moving forward though
>>
>When did literature become focused on setting and endless description?
I am reading Iliad right now. The guy spends 500 lines listing the ships, the groups of warriors and their leaders.
>adjectives
Yeah, the fair-haired, beloved-by-Ares, long-shadowed, swift-footed, rose-fingered Homer does never waste a single word.

All in all, you're dumb for reading only the Greeks (ie, falling for the memes) and them jumping 3000 years into the future and not expect human sensibilities to change drastically (and also reading just one random work from a period and thinking it can represent the whole of literature from that period).
>>
>>9747769
actually moore uses description to invoke meaning. every street corner and seemingly minor character becomes central to the story later on. not the best book ive read but this is definitely good literature. you dick.
>>
>>9748121
Those descriptions didn't drag on me in quite the same way. I liked the repetition of dialogue and the poem never felt like it dragged.

>>9748228
I'm still giving it a shot, if just didn't capture me in the same way Homer did.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.