[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/. Im often dragged into conversations about the existance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG-20170707-WA0005.jpg (9KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170707-WA0005.jpg
9KB, 193x261px
Hello /lit/.

Im often dragged into conversations about the existance of absolute truth. Now i enjoy philosophy but Im still stuck with the greeks and early christians, so apart from st Augustine and the presocratics i havent had much interaction with relativist.

The argument being thrown around in the conversations is that we can infer that an objective reality exists by the existance of bodies and their position and interaction in space-time (the interaction between two particles like attraction or repulsion can be interpreted by us but it doesnt change the outcome). The next argument is about truth, us not being able to grasph the truth doesn't mean it doesn't exists, for example we know the heliocentric system is more "true" than a geocentric system or that our rocket science has some elements of truth or it wouldnt work.

Both would imply that there exists an objective reality, in which lies the absolute truth, no matter the amounts of subjective veils there are between us and it.

I can't say I agree with the claims, since the word absolute in absolute truth kinda implies that its always true, and I personally don't think absolutes can exist wothout God, which is what their argument is. I'd enjoy hearing your opinions and arguments pro and contra.
>>
Shameless self bump.
>>
Absolute truth is beyond our reach. Our knowledge is always filtered throw ourselves, so we will always only know what our sense and intellect can grasp. That said, we give explanation of reality that are probably naive and partial, but are good in a pragmatic sense. We know how to use stuff, not really what they are.
>>
>>9746554
You're making a categorical mistake.
>>
>>9746683
Yes but our inability to grasp the truth doesn't mean that it doesn't fundamentally exist, right? Just the notion of it our understanding being partial means that it is in some degree close to the truth. Right?
>>
>>9746684
Could you please elaborate, I wouldn't be surprised if I fucked something up.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.