[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the Summa Theologica retain esteemable contemporary relevancy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: St_Thomas_Aquinas.jpg (41KB, 387x544px) Image search: [Google]
St_Thomas_Aquinas.jpg
41KB, 387x544px
Does the Summa Theologica retain esteemable contemporary relevancy? How well does it hold up against earlier, or even later works tackling, among other things, metaphysics, ethic, faith, etc?
>>
Is this question real? Of course it fucking does. It's still the most important written thing in theology.
>>
It's a pile of dogshit defending the most braindead hypothesis (abrahamic monotheism) of all time, what do you think?
>>
File: 1390309625739.gif (2MB, 331x248px) Image search: [Google]
1390309625739.gif
2MB, 331x248px
>>9744417
>>
File: Alasdair_MacIntyre.jpg (472KB, 1085x1461px) Image search: [Google]
Alasdair_MacIntyre.jpg
472KB, 1085x1461px
Yes, although I believe his importance in philosophy has somewhat diminished with the recent transition to moral skepticism.

But Analytical Thomists is growing in popularity in some European university departments.
>>
File: 1494436480661.gif (1MB, 292x278px) Image search: [Google]
1494436480661.gif
1MB, 292x278px
>>9744417
I hope that's a meme
>>
>>9744378
I just want to know if it's worth $200 or if some key theoretical idea of his was disproven by later advances in the science or technology which may have for example completely invalidated some key proposition or theory or concept of particular notoriety for which he may have been the progenitor. It's a question of naivete really, I've just entered the library and I have no idea where to start. All I know is I want to learn philosophy and theology and the history of spirituality and religion and its effect on our culture, the development of Europe and Western civilization. I'm just poking around in the dark trying to make sense of thousands of books, and seemingly all self-referencing no less, to try and find a starting point.

S-sorry
>>
>>9744489
>I have no idea where to start
Augustine, you can't find a more esteemed or relevant author to western philosophy and theology, nearly everybody is built off his works.
>>
File: 1496282811402.jpg (2MB, 3000x2900px) Image search: [Google]
1496282811402.jpg
2MB, 3000x2900px
>>9744489
hope it helps
>>
>>9744489
Summa is mostly for reference. If your new to theology get an intro or summation to Scholasticism Edward Feser and Peter Kreeft have some good books on the subject.
>>
>>9744548
Why do people like Kreeft? He's too basic, I got extremely little from his book on Aquinas.
>>9744489
Thomism is a pretty huge thing and I would not tackle Aquinas before you know your Plato, Aristote and Augustine well and even then, Summa Contra Gentiles is a much more interesting work for philiosophy, partially because it doesn't spend 600 pages on angels.
>>
>>9745721
Well, in my desire to start reading about the world I did impulse buy a complete volume of Plato's work. But since you recommend it as a starting point, what areas in this 2000-page collection is an appropriate starting point? Or perhaps the first 4-5 in order to start with.

Anywho, I checked some pdf of Summa and really liked Aquinas style of writing which is what interested me in it. I just finished reading two of Nietzsche books, Beyond Good and Evil and On Genealogy of Morals, and the hard part wasn't understanding the ideas as much as it was wading through N's difficult writing patterns without losing focus. I didn't have that problem with the few articles of Aquinas I looked at.

Thanks for any help
>>
>>9745841
You should read the 4 trial and death dialogues, Timaeus, The Republic, Meno, Phaedo and Symposium. The rest are of course great, but not as important. You can always get back for the rest and this is about 800 pages so it's much more manageable.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.