[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books about self-improvement that actually carried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 910d8134f9c5735.jpg (120KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
910d8134f9c5735.jpg
120KB, 640x360px
What are some books about self-improvement that actually carried you through harder times and made you stronger in hindsight
>>
>>9742593
The Ego and Its Own, not even memeing
>>
Books don't carry you through hard times. Females do.
>>
A book is like a female. Full of useless and unsolicited advice.
>>
Books and females don't carry you through hard time. You just involuntarily suffer until enough time passes and fate decides to give you a break.
>>
>>9742699
lol
>>
>>9742699
In general men have a higher carrying capacity. You could always go for a muscle babe if you really want to be carried through hard times.
>>
>>9742593
NT
>>
>>9742699
Not females, but good women. And those are one in a million anymore
>>
>>9742707
>voluntarily

ftfy
>>
>>9742812
>just decide to stop suffering bro
really makes one ponder the nature of free will
>>
Introduction to the devout life.
>>
epictetus is alright desu
>>
Reposting stuff from earlier about social skills:
>anything that's like a good updated version of how to win friends and influence people? I'd like to be more sociable and have more courage when it comes to talking to random people and connecting but most of the things in HTWFAIP have become cliche and seem ingenuine

Maybe you need to read several books, and by read I mean thoroughly digest, practice, review, and repeat. The key to social skills is building connections with other people, which means you need to build rapport, find common ground, and share new experiences together. This is both an exercise in developing practical skills and overcoming psychological hurdles.

Improve Your Social Skills by Daniel Wendler will give you all the basics you need to know. Then go out and talk with people. Get a firm grasp on the basics while observing your strongpoints and weakpoints. Write them down, think about how to improve, and then practice again. Maybe you're not that funny or spontaneous (try learning about improv), maybe you're nervous about other people's opinions (try cognitive behavioral therapy), maybe you don't give off a friendly impression (try learning about body language and practicing), maybe you're too naive to read between the lines (try The Games People Play by Eric Berne), or maybe you're too wishy-washy to be respected (try No More Mr. Nice Guy by Robert Glover). HTWFAIP isn't a bad book, but you're right that a lot of tips have been cliche, and the best advice from that book is to become a better listener and to genuinely learn to appreciate other people.

Just learn the basics, practice, find out what you really lack, and then set your mind to work solving that issue. One last warning: don't fall into the trap of reading, reading, reading, without any practice. Start with Daniel Wendler, and don't move on until you've mastered everything he has to offer. As long as you PRACTICE extensively after reading, you'll grow into your own shoes and achieve some sort of mastery over yourself.

--

Now that I'm thinking about it, I would also recommend A Primer in Positive Psychology - Christopher Peterson for reference purposes. But don't get caught up on reading when you could be practicing skills and integrating experiences.
>>
>>9742850
Reposting some more of the relevant reasoning behind the book list and an additional resource in case you find it useful.

>I've thought about this quite a lot, and after trying to break down rapport in an autistic fashion, I've concluded that there's really no single book you can read to be interesting to most other people. What kind of topic is going to be interesting to most other people? What kind of behavior or skill is going to be influential or relevant to most other people? What kind of humor is going to be funny to most other people? There's no such thing, and approaching "being interesting" as "stamp collecting of interesting subjects" is going to doom you to failure unless you are targeting a specific group of people with specific mannerisms. And even at this rate, without the basics of rapport down, then any attempt to do this kind of targeted approach is doomed to failure.

>What is the best general approach then to have interesting things to say? "Being yourself", except instead of being a cryptic faggot about it, we'll come up with a working definition: being at ease with yourself and others enough so that you can bond over common experiences, feelings, and interests. What is going to help you? Asking the right questions to get other people to open up and share information, practicing charismatic and relaxed body language, being observant, spontaneous, and vulnerable to encourage wit based off of what you both know, maintaining social awareness and following up after encounters, etc. Once you establish a connection with another person, then the topics will flow naturally, and eventually you'll discover whether you share enough in common with somebody else to be interesting, or simply have too many differences (and that's okay too).

-- --
>>
>>9742853
>What kind of behavior or skill is going to be influential or relevant to most other people?
giving them attention makes people feel good unless they're psychopaths
kek how easy
>>
>>9742593
The Imitation of Christ.
>>
>>9742881
Giving a woman attention when you're not interesting is asking for a public shaming.
>>
>>9742699
Nah, other men do. Females are retarded creatures who make decisions on emotions, all of which depend on the time of the month.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.