[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a full list that details the essentials starting from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Unknown-4.jpg (13KB, 269x188px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-4.jpg
13KB, 269x188px
Is there a full list that details the essentials starting from the Greeks to now? Is it Bloom's 'The Western Canon' ?
>>
just read a fucking book
>>
>>9739598
not sure if you want a philosophy list or greek philosophy list. this is the best I can do http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Philosophy
>>
>>9739598

holy shit nigger

you want to 100% literature like you're playing a zelda game or something

go read plato a hundred times lol
>>
>>9739614
Thank you
>>
>>9739598
>essentials
This could be anything.
It could be just the Iliad and Odyssey.
It could be Homer, Plato and Aristotle.
It could be Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Hesiod, Sophocles, Euripides and Aeschylus.
It could be significantly more than this depending on your definition of essential.

As >>9739603 said, just read a book. You'll figure it out on the way.
>>
>>9739598
Beyond bloom, try great books of the western world
>>
File: mum2.jpg (38KB, 440x502px) Image search: [Google]
mum2.jpg
38KB, 440x502px
>>9739625
np
>>
Simple Wikipedia search. Please stop ignoring the fact that you have instant access to all or most of human knowledge. Why you'd post this question to a Vietnamese Bean Juggling forum is beyond me.
>>
Just focus on a few important works instead of trying to read everything.

If you try to start from the beginning you will overwhelm yourself because there is so much to. To me, the "essential" list of Greek works is just Plato and Homer, Aristotle if you are feeling particularly masochistic. Tragedians are a meme
>>
>>9739598
Bloom's Western Canon is something the book's editor forced him to add, and he just spent 2 or 3 hours thinking up anything good that came into his head. It's a fine list for recommendations, but it's not definitive. I don't think anything can be desu. Although here you can find plenty of "great books" lists of varying quality: http://sonic.net/~rteeter/greatbks.html
>>
>>9739598
Most of the "essentials" lists focus far too much on the works of dead white men while ignoring works by other cultures.
>>
>>9739640
I'm sure there's more "essential" works but I will start with those three.

>>9739656
Are there any different cultures that you would recommend reading?

>>9739626
I think I'll start with Homer. Thank you.

>>9739641
Thank you, I'll check it out.
>>
>>9739735
>I think I'll start with Homer.

You're not meant to start with the Greeks

>skipping Egypt and Mesopotamia
>>
http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
>>
It is my diary.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.