[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been reading this, and I'm up to Canto XIX. And

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

I've been reading this, and I'm up to Canto XIX. And I gotta admit a lot of it is going over my head. I cant really inderstand a lot of what is being said.
Is it me ( most likely), is it the translation? Is there a translation for dummies like me? Anyone else have a tough time reading this or can relate to my situation?
>>
>>9739440

The Divine Comedy is filled with allusions and references to shit even some of the most learned readers will miss out on. As with any other difficult work, go slow and do your research.
>>
File: dante.jpg (867KB, 1400x5316px) Image search: [Google]
dante.jpg
867KB, 1400x5316px
>>
>>9739474
Well that makes me feel a bit better, I'll def. have to reread it a few times.

Thanks for the advice

>>9739489
Thanks for the info. anon
>>
>>9739440
Even Italians can't read the Comedy without extensive footnotes. Some reference have been lost completely and you're left with educated guesses from scholars. It gets worse after Inferno too.
>>
>>9739440
I read a version (not english tho) with a shitton of endnotes (endnotes were literally almost as big as the whole book) which helped a huge amount.
Even if you know your Aristotle et al. you'll still need them
>>
>>9739440
Just keep reading, and I mean reading the Divine Comedy, read purgatorio straight after.

It's called the Divine Comedy for a reason
>>
>>9739549
I havent even thought about going into purgatorio or paradiso yet, so that sounds pretty intimidating.

>>9739551
The version Im reading has notes at the end of the book, but doesnt seem as extensive as the version youve read i can assume.

Im seeing now it was very foolish of me to think it was gonna be just another book to read.
>>
>>9739653
I'll give it a shot, though as i said before, seems intimidating.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.