[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We all know /lit/'s response to the Iliad and the Odissey,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

We all know /lit/'s response to the Iliad and the Odissey, but what did you think about this?
>>
File: onetruebook.jpg (24KB, 294x475px) Image search: [Google]
onetruebook.jpg
24KB, 294x475px
>>9739221
I've read pic related a couple times, and the Fagles versions of Iliad and Odyssey. I prefer Fitzgerald.
>>
>>9739221
It's a necessary read to bridge the gap between Homer and Dante. It's a really cool book when read in the context of Roman mythopoesis and its later vestiges in Christian lit.
>>
It would have been the work with the greatest instance of katabasis if it hadn't been for Dante's Inferno.
I can't speak for its use of language, since I can't read Latin. Virgil does showcase a control over structure that isn't present in Homer's works. The allusions to The Iliad and Odyssey into Aeneas's journey makes Aeneas' strife timeless and certainly adds to the themes of the poem.
It's one of the greatest works of art tackling themes of posterity and legacy.
One of my favorite parts of the poem is the meeting between Aeneas and Anchises in Hades.
>>
It's very important, but the Homer stuff is emphasized because you gotta start with the Greeks.
>>
>>9739351
A lot of what makes Dante's work so compelling though is the way that he built off of Virgil's work. The Aeneid suffers from being the middle child between The Odyssey and The Divine Comedy, but I found it to be very fulfilling. It definitely made my reading of The Inferno richer to have read The Aeneid first.
>>
Has anybody here read the John Dryden translation? If so, how was it?
>>
So fuckin epic.
>>
>>9739221
It's a foundation myth for Rome. Some say it's propaganda.

Many Romans tried to tie the story of Aeneas to the story of Romulus and Remus who are two brothers in the other Roman foundation myth.

I have yet to read it myself, I have been reading some Roman history lately and plan on reading it soon.
>>
>>9739221
>Reading Roman fanfiction seriously
Pfft, this place is really going down the drain.
>>
>>9741714
>>logical extrapolation: Joyce is Irish fanfic

Do you even /lit/ dot jpg
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.