[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did James Joyce choose to write Ulysses and his other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1486782593255.jpg (40KB, 385x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486782593255.jpg
40KB, 385x500px
Why did James Joyce choose to write Ulysses and his other novels in English?
>>
>>9735800
I know I wish he wrote them in another language so I didn't have to read them. joyce is terrible
>>
>>9735800
He wrote it in Irish, retard.

Back to /pol/ you go
>>>/pol/
>>
>>9735814
This is just a silly thread
>>
>>9735800
Because it's his first language dimmit.
>>9735814
Lel
>>
>>9735808
>>9735814
>>9735822
I mean, Joyce was proficient in Irish, German, Italian, French, Greek, Hebrew, Finnish, Norwegian, Old English, Polish, and probably even more. Yet he chose to specifically write his magnum opus in English.
>>
>>9735826
>Writing in the English language is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives.

What did he mean by this then?
>>
>>9735840
>Why english?
It was his mother tongue.

>Why not irish gaelic?
It was not, and he did not achieve proficiency in the language at the time of writing; you can read more here (http://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/view?docId=ft5s200743&chunk.id=d0e11455&toc.depth=100&brand=ucpress)
>>
>>9735800
Universal language so more people can read it.
Was his mother tongue.
>>
>>9735800

> Finnegans Wake
> English
>>
>>9735840
really wrong about this, he had mediocre knowledge of irish, greek, hebrew, finnish, norwegin, OE and polish.
>>
He didn't write them in English though, he wrote them in Music.
>>
>>9736360
you were music to my ears
by I was deaf
>>
>The demand that I make of my reader is that he should devote his whole Life to reading my works.

>If I gave it all up immediately, I'd lose my immortality. I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality.

>I want to give a picture of Dublin so complete that if the city suddenly disappeared from the earth it could be reconstructed out of my book.

>(his last words) Does nobody understand?

genius.
>>
>>9735800
So he could sell it to more people :)
>>
>>9735840
Yeah, he should have just wrote it in Finnish.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.