[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop reading the New Yorker. It is and always has been a magazine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: p04m3b4w[1].jpg (32KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
p04m3b4w[1].jpg
32KB, 720x405px
Stop reading the New Yorker. It is and always has been a magazine for sycophants and dilettantes and it has not published good original writing in some years.
>>
>>9733768
I only care about reviews tho.

Paris and London and New Criterion are good for highbrow but sometimes I want to know what the pulitzer/National Book Award/Man Booker hopefuls are gonna be
>>
Stop reading the media in general
>>
>>9733768
It's a jewish publication, of course it's mediocre and low-brow.
>>
File: IMG_2204.jpg (37KB, 400x262px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2204.jpg
37KB, 400x262px
...but I am a dilettante. Will never give up my subscription tbqh.
>>
>>9733779
Save yourself money and use The Millions for that shit. They always publish the short and long lists for those prizes.
>>
>>9733768
Growing up, I had the impression that the New Yorker was some sort of high society magazine full of advanced sociopolitical insights and the like.

It's a boring cross between Time and the Huffington Post, in reality.
>>
>>9733978
>It's a boring cross between Time and the Huffington Post, in reality.
HuffPo writes much more informed and substantiated articles.

Don't insult anything by comparing it to Time though, not even your word enemy's political blog is that bad.
>>
>>9733978
Sounds like a poverty cope but defending the NYer is not the hill I want to die on.
>>
File: 1499187474357.jpg (45KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
1499187474357.jpg
45KB, 320x400px
Richard Brody is the only good film reviewer left though.
>>
>>9733768
Pretty much agree with you.

But Alex Ross is god-tier.
>>
>implying I read anything by traditional media

They are literally just propaganda machines for neo-liberal rich people.
>>
>>9734113
Define "traditional media." Is this the "I go to YT celebs for my opinions" mindset? Books are "traditional media" do you eschew those as well?
>>
>>9734119
>Define "traditional media."

Large corporate media outlets that are at least 80 years old that used to print newspapers.
>>
>>9733961
http://www.themillions.com/books-reviews/campo-santo-modern-library-paperbacks-0812972325

this is what i usually go to new yorker for. ty
>>
>>9734024
Brody is great. He also has a very distinct type of movie he likes which is great for reading his reviews about those movies and horrible for ones that aren't like those.
I think the thing that annoys me about Brody is that he always refers to things about the power and magic of cinema and this "higher place" that the art can achieve and mentions it in reviews like if it came short of it or reached it or something. However he never really explains what made ti come short or hit that mark in a substantial way and makes me think he actually doesn't know what he is really saying and just throwing it in there to seem ike he knows a lot

Also Anthony Lane is a cuck
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.