[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I finally decided to read the Bible and already I'm having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: holy-bible.png (51KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
holy-bible.png
51KB, 300x232px
I finally decided to read the Bible and already I'm having trouble with the concistency of the text at the genesis.
In the first chapter it is said that God created animals before man and that he created man and woman at the same time but then in chapter 2 Adam is created before animals are made and Eve is made after that from Adam's rib.
Is the genesis after the first chapter allegorical?
Is the first chapter to be taken as some form of code to be theologically decyphered like Augustine did in his confessions?
>>
>>9733476
We need to stop shitposting the bible meme so much. Reddit has tacked onto it and theirs version of /lit/ is using it for 'le funny' upvotes.
>>
Yes. Unironically, watch Jordan Peterson's series on the psychological significance of the biblical stories. I don't know if he's "right" but he definitely helped me understand many of the earlier stories better.
>>
>>9733512
Should I just read on and tell myself there's no definite interpretation of the Bible so I shouldn't even try, then?
>>
>>9733540
I am not sure. Ask... www.reddit.com/books/
>>
What's so reddit about taking an interest in the Bible and trying to understand it?
>>
>>9733528
For what a modern person can get out of it, yes. For what it originally meant, no, Peterson isn't a Bible scholar. There's a Yale Open Course on the Old Testament that's good.

Also episodes 8.1, 8.2, and 8.4 of Ancient Religions of the Mediterranean podcast give a nice overview of how early near eastern mythology worked.
>>
>>9733476
The two common responses to this question are 1) they're two different, independently written creation stories, so Genesis 2 doesn't chronologically come after Genesis 1, and 2) Genesis 2 takes place on day 6 of G1.
>>
Gen 2:4-25 is a second account of creation. It shouldn't be conflated with the first. If you go into the bible without any sort of hermeneutical grounding you're not going to understand anything. Some of these books are 3,000 years old and they deserve to be treated with respect. At least pick up a damn commentary and read it side by side.
>>
>>9733476
>>9733528
>>9733584
>>9733585
>>9733601
>tfw all these plebs don't understand that this is an esoteric account of the nonlinear nature of time
>>
>>9733476
You need to have a Study Bible to really understand some of the things going on in the Bible.
>>
>>9733839
I have the official french liturgical translation. There are introductions to each book but based on the genesis' they aren't really fleshed out beyond a surface level.
>>
The Bible is already calling you to interpret it, and harmonize two different stories of creation, told from two different points of view, by using one to make sense of the other.

>he created man and woman
Yes
>at the same time
Where does it say: "at the same time?" Read verse 27 more closely.
>Adam is created before animals are made
Does Adam giving names "to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field" include the fish of the sea?

God is populating the Garden of animals in order to give Adam a companion, he is not creating or re-creating the animal kingdom.

Reading the Bible isn't simply something /lit/ recommends out of it's influence on Western literature: it will change the way you read forever.

Hermeneutics as we know it today was born from biblical hermeneutics.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.