[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/memo/ -- Memorisation general thread. This thread is for t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 000.jpg (67KB, 500x332px)
000.jpg
67KB, 500x332px
/memo/ -- Memorisation general thread.

This thread is for talking about works of literature, poetry, speeches etc. you have committed to memory, talking about techniques to do so and sharing ideas for good works to memorise.

Basic list of suggestions from last thread: https://pastebin.com/nmFvNjBf
>>
i do not memorize, my brain automatically retains everything that i find meaningful, only the essence is kept
>>
The Raven is quite a good one, it's use of repetition makes it quite easy to memorise
>>
>>9731627
Yes that is generally how normal humans operate, the point is to precisely memorise, to heart works of literature which one wants to keep with them at all times.
>>
>>9731659
just buy a usb disc m8 memory is cheap as heck these days
>>
I'm currently memorising Platos allegory of the cave as well as the passages just before it that contextualise it. I'm planning on trying out Cicero's method of loci mnuemonic technique that is explained in ad herrenium, oratore, and Institutio Oratoria.
>>
File: 539w.jpg (27KB, 539x407px) Image search: [Google]
539w.jpg
27KB, 539x407px
There is a singer everyone has heard,
Loud, a mid-summer and a mid-wood bird,
Who makes the solid tree trunks sound again.
He says that leaves are old and that for flowers
Mid-summer is to spring as one to ten.
He says the early petal-fall is past
When pear and cherry bloom went down in showers
On sunny days a moment overcast;
And comes that other fall we name the fall.
He says the highway dust is over all.
The bird would cease and be as other birds
But that he knows in singing not to sing.
The question that he frames in all but words
Is what to make of a diminished thing.
>>
>>9731581
>people memorizing translations
>pastebin suggests memorizing the entire fucking republic

Are y'all just try hards (probably good) or pseuds (definitely worthless)?
>>
File: 960 (1).jpg (71KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960 (1).jpg
71KB, 960x540px
I like to memorize speeches and soliloquies from Shakespeare. So far I've got To Be Or Not To Be, the Saint Crispin's Day Speech, Marc Antony's Funeral Oration, and the ending monologues from both The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Working on memorizing the "All upon the king!" soliloquy from Henry V next.
>>
>>9732300
Who said anything about translations? I memorised plenty of the Iliad in the original Greek -- it is far more beautiful that way. The only time I would ever really want to memorise a translation would be the Bible -- English translations are just so ubiquitous there.

Also no one said anything about the entirety of The Republic, I just didn't have anything specific to point to so gave a general recommendation. The same section suggests Paine's work and I don't think that meant for anyone to memorise all of that.

It most certainly is quite a 'try-hard' pursuit, but it's also rewarding, fulfilling and impresses the hell out of people if you use such skills sparingly in a non-forced manner (if it's your primary motivation you won't get very far).
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.