[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to read more English books rather than translations but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: MI-jamesnora.jpg (70KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
MI-jamesnora.jpg
70KB, 650x488px
Trying to read more English books rather than translations but it seems like every book thats recommended to me on this board is a translation. What do you recommend? I haven't read a lot so classics are valid.

What I've enjoy in English
>Fitzgerald: Gatsby, Tender is the Night
>Stoner
>Shakespeare: Hamlet, The Tempest
>Joyce: Portrait of an Artist, Dubliners
>>
"The Rainbow" by DH Lawrence
"Patterson" by William Carlos Williams
"Portrait of an artist as a young dog" by Dylan Thomas
>>
>>9731397
treatise of human nature
>>
>>9731397
crying of the lot 49
lolita
>>
ulysses of course
>>
Oscar Wilde ffs
>>
>>9731397
Graham Swift - Waterland
Salman Rushdie - Midnight's Children & The Satanic Verses
Don DeLillo - White Noise
Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights
Herman Melville - Moby-Dick
Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange
Coetzee - Disgrace or Foe
Thomas Hardy - Tess of the D'urbervilles
Anything by George Orwell especially Nineteen Eighty Four, Animal Farm, The Road to Wigan Pier, Homage to Catalonia
Anything by Oscar Wilde

That should keep you busy for a while. If the list is too eccentric for you and you need those bangers that have internet approval like Fight Club or something like that then check out anything by Irvine Welsh especially Trainspotting. Then when you drop that name to other hipsters you'll immediately be seen as the alpha reader. But read my list, might do you some good idk who cares
>>
Oxford Book of English Verse
Collected Stories of Rudyard Kipling
The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
>>
Edith Wharton- The Age of Innocence. And Henry James-The Aspern Papers. The Turn of the Screw is good too. James does novellas better than he does novels.
>>
Thanks so much guys this is exactly what I need!

>>9731423
I read a few of his plays actually, if I thought of him I would've included him on the list.
>>
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy Gentleman. The veracity and controversy of this book are unbelievable almost 300 years later. Plus Sterne was an Irish writer and quite seals the deal that the Brits have not produced anything of note in literature after Shakespeare
>>
Just finished Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses

Fucking incredible book, especially if modernism tickles your taint
>>
>>9732052
This speaks to the oppressed Irishman in me thanks
>>
>>9731423
paradife loft
>>
>>9731397
>reading
>not boring as fuck
Anybody who still enjoys reading without feeling frustration over books not holding up to your standards is still a kiddo.
Wise humans either go full blown hedonism and go out a couple of times a week high on mdma "dancing" on electro OR become buddhists living a non-life of Eastern stoicism.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.