[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leave this board and never return if any of these apply to you:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Leave this board and never return if any of these apply to you:

>you read any form of genre fiction
>you barely know your classics
>you tend to believe that if you like a given work, it is justified on an artistic level
>you think everyone's opinion should be accepted and respected
>you speak a single language
>you read contemporary versions of Shakespeare or Milton
>you read for the plot
>you read for entertainment
>you rarely read nonfiction
>you don't have a solid grounding in philosophy
>you don't have at least have some understanding of the Three Tragedians and Homer
>you have little to no understanding of literature outside of your cultural horizon
>you have little to no understanding of literature within your own cultural horizon
>you mostly read contemporary literature
>you believe 'the author is dead'
>you make your literary analysis proceed from ideology
>you think intricate prose is 'pretentious' and that the author 'should just get to the point'
>your rarely read poetry
>you think Rhythm and Rhyme is just useless rules and laws restricting creativity
>you have a hard time explaining why you like a given work
>you have a hard time forming structured and relevant literary criticism
>you tend to refuse to judge works for yourself, rather relying on the opinions of literary authorities
>you rarely read for more than one or two hours straight

What book are you reading anon?
>>
>>9730424
I have a strong feeling that you fall into at least half of those categories. So, please leave.
>>
>>9730424
Everyday until you like it
>>
Phaedo, and Maeno
>>
>>9730538
good lad
>>
>>9730424
>you read any form of genre fiction
Myopic. The majority are trash, true, but there are good authors to be found there, like PKD, Wolfe, and Mieville.

>you barely know your classics
Agreed. Though "classic" is a very loosely-defined term, and one of the purposes of /lit/ would ideally be to spread awareness of them.

>you tend to believe that if you like a given work, it is justified on an artistic level
Agreed.

>you think everyone's opinion should be accepted and respected
Everyone's opinion should at least be heard and considered, to prevent a stifling orthodoxy from forming. Though there are obvious trash views, like "YA is better than Shakespeare" and such.

>you speak a single language
Absolutely nothing wrong with this. An in-depth study of your own country/culture's works is better than a shallow reading of a little of everything.

>you read contemporary versions of Shakespeare or Milton
Agreed.

>you read for the plot
Depends on the book, but mostly agreed.

>you read for entertainment
I'd adjust this to "you read SOLELY for entertainment". Entertainment isn't inherently bad, it just needs to be accompanied by other things.

>you rarely read nonfiction
Agreed.

>you don't have a solid grounding in philosophy
Agreed on general principles, but like with the "classics" thing, it's very vague. What sort of philosophy? What constitutes "solid"?

>you don't have at least have some understanding of the Three Tragedians and Homer
Agreed. Especially Aeschylus.

>you have little to no understanding of literature outside of your cultural horizon
>you have little to no understanding of literature within your own cultural horizon
Agreed.

>you mostly read contemporary literature
Nothing wrong with this, necessarily, as long as it's actually literary (Pynchon, Marlon James, etc) and not just New York Times Best Sellers.

>you believe 'the author is dead'
Mostly agreed, but I do think there are some books that would benefit from not knowing about the author's personal life/views, at least on first reading.

>you make your literary analysis proceed from ideology
*sniff* None of us are free from ideology, and so on. *tug shirt*

>you think intricate prose is 'pretentious' and that the author 'should just get to the point'
>your rarely read poetry
VERY much agreed on these.

>you think Rhythm and Rhyme is just useless rules and laws restricting creativity.
Eh. There's probably a sweet spot between slavish rigidity and Rupi Kaur-esque formlessness. (It's probably called Dickinson).

>you have a hard time explaining why you like a given work
>you have a hard time forming structured and relevant literary criticism
>you tend to refuse to judge works for yourself, rather relying on the opinions of literary authorities
Fine, though as I say /lit/ would ideally help you get better at these.

>you rarely read for more than one or two hours straight
Some of us have to work you know.
>>
File: Spencer is a cuck.jpg (34KB, 677x448px) Image search: [Google]
Spencer is a cuck.jpg
34KB, 677x448px
>>9730424
>Leave this board and never return if any of these apply to you:
>TL;DR
Translation: Leave the board and never return if you are not OP.
>>
In the modern world of easily accessible and accurate translations why would any native English speaker be inclined to learn a different language other than for travel?
>>
>>9730608
>Aeschylus.
quality post thanks for the rec
>>
>>9730631
learning a new language is improving my ability to read in English my ancestors spoke the language so it makes me feel a closer connection to them
>>
>>9730424
this is not your board and you don't get to tell people what to do you faggot
>>
File: darth_plagueiscover.jpg (90KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
darth_plagueiscover.jpg
90KB, 700x483px
>>9730424
>What book are you reading anon?
2nd readthrough of pic related.
>>
>>9730670
Darth Plagueis is excellent, If you're new to Star Wars I highly recommend anything and everything Timothy Zahn
>>
>>9730608
>Mieville
He's not good. I'm sorry. I agree there are good authors writing genre fiction, but he is not one of them.
>>
>>9730722
His short stories (and bits of This Census-Taker) are the closest thing I've found to Borges since the actual Borges
>>
I want to fuck Novalis' tight little ass
>>
>>9730670
>>9730685
kek
>>
>>9730608
>It's probably called Dickinson
she wrote bound verse
bound verse isn't necessarily half*verse caesura half-verse and strict rhyimng (abab)
>>
>>9730889
?
I bet you don't even know your Banking Clan from your Commerce Guild.
>>
>>9731154
shouldn't you be reading instead of browsing 4chan?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.