[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any literature that even comes close to top tier music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 24

Is there any literature that even comes close to top tier music? I think know, but feel free to prove me wrong. Literature at it's best approaches music but never quite gets there.
>>
>>9728300
*I think not
>>
>>9728300
Yep

Except you can say more with literature than you can with music
>>
Literature at its best is the polar opposite of music.
>>
>>9728303
such as? but you can SHOW much more with music, which is a more pure and truthful process, because it doesn't rely on the faulty mechanism of language
>>
U L Y S S E S
Better than music, film, all of literature, it's practically a perfect piece of art
>>
maybe you're just more /mu/ than /lit/
>>
>>9728306
what do u mean by that?
>>
>>9728317
Music is entirely sensuous and comprehensible mostly emotionally. Literature at its heights can have a more cerebral, intellectual message. They're different; you could say literature is "drier" and more active in its requirements, music more passive (you just listen to it). The sounds of a song (disregarding lyrics may not ennoble you and make you a better person, leave you permanently changed for the better, but good literature or philosophy might.
>>
>>9728300
>Literature at it's best approaches music but never quite gets there
What did you mean by that?
>>
>>9728300
Lolita
Catcher
Macbeth
Frankenstein
Taoteching
Night
Ulysses
Moby Dick
Watt
>>
>>9728323
I second this anon, but disagree that music cannot shape character. You should read Plato's Republic: listening to certain tunes and rhythms encourages the character in certain ways. Not just in the obvious ways; of course somehow who listens to music promoting violence himself comes to promote violence, but this isn't even Plato's main point. Think of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, which can make any endeavor seem glorious. Acclimating oneself to rowdy music makes one rowdy. Regardless of lyrical content.

On the other hand, there's something solipsistic in music, at least in the way it's consumed today. Reading a book is always a conversation between you and the author and characters; even when done alone, there's something more social about that activity. Music is not inherently a private activity, but most music is consumed privately now. So there's something less social about that, because you aren't conversing with the composer so much as reveling in the feelings the music brings out in you. "In music, the passions enjoy themselves." This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't obviously good, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSu-wZChcQ
>>
>>9728330
Take for instance the greatest passages in Ulysses. I would say that they are beautiful, admirable works of art, but that they simply do not quite match up to the sheer beautiful of the greatest pieces by Mozart, Beethoven, Bach etc. Of course, this is subjective, but I find that most people agree with me. and to say, as >>9728323 did, that it is because literature's purpose is more intellectual, I think is also incorrect. Joyce was not much of a philosophical thinker, and Ulysses was not much of a philosophical book, nor should it be: the greatest passages of Ulysses are great because of their masterful replication of consciousness and aesthetic perfection... and yet I can never quite compare this beauty to the greatest moments in say, Beethoven's late string quartets. They seem to SHOW even more than Joyce, though they don't use language.
>>
>>9728344
I see what you're getting at, but I would be loath to even attempt to compare the abilities of literature and music to connect to their respective audiences. There are sublime moments of connection in both literature and music, such as, as Nietzsche said, the feeling of dissolution into a communal celebration and affirmation of life in Beethoven's 9th, and the moments of recognition and relatability in reading Joyce. You should also keep in mind, that playing music (ie on an instrument) can also be considered a form of "consumption," in a certain sense, and that the feeling of connection in playing an instrument in conjunction with others is perhaps more intense than any I have experienced in reading a novel
>>
>>9728371
>playing instruments for self and others
Okay, good point. There is a communal aspect to this, or should be. And, conversely, most people are bad readers who just read to see themselves reflected back at them. So part of the problem may be the way that these two art forms are enjoyed today.
>>
>>9728312
Sometimes I do feel this way
>>
>>9728317
The best music is all about itself. The best literature is about is about all but itself.
>>
>>9728393
elaborate please
>>
>>9728473
Good music doesn't "mean" anything. Good literature makes "nothing" meaningful. Good music exists outside of the world. Good literature is indistinguishable from the world. Good music imposes itself. Good literature lets itself be imposed on.
>>
>>9728673
do you think you're coming across as intelligent with these embarrassingly shallow and poorly conceived thoughts?
>>
>>9728393
>>9728673
please never post again
>>
>>9728345
>but I find that most people agree with me.
Well, I disagree.

Now what?
>>
>>9728300
Post examples of these wonderful works.
>>
File: 1499124219757.png (27KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1499124219757.png
27KB, 625x626px
>>9728300
>he thinks classical music is the top
>has never listened to neoclassical with drone/ambient touches
>>
>>9729031
He posted Beethoven's image and mentioned his late quartets, Mozart and Bach.
>>
>>9729036
>neoclassical with drone/ambient touches

I'm interested. any recs?
>>
>>9728300
Faust
>>
File: 3ywmrc9u03dy.jpg (32KB, 673x495px) Image search: [Google]
3ywmrc9u03dy.jpg
32KB, 673x495px
>>9729164
Any of richard skelton's projects
(specially *AR and A broken consort)
Carousell
Celer
Chubby wolf
Hakobune
Kinetix
Lichens
Methadrone
Willamette
Tiny Leaves
Bengalfuel
Clouwbeck
Pausal

pic unrelated
>>
File: 1498580064909s.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1498580064909s.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>9729232
Noone unironically likes faust.
They say they do, but they don't.
>>
File: 1472256219584s.jpg (5KB, 172x250px) Image search: [Google]
1472256219584s.jpg
5KB, 172x250px
>>9728300
>ITT: /lit/ has much more interesting things to say about music than /mu/
>>
>>9728673
Don't listen to them, anon. I liked it.
>>
>>9729333
/mu/ is kill.
it's just a bunch of comfy-zone bastards that follow RYM and pitchfork opinions.
And of course, kpop, grimeth and some more waifufaggery.
>>
>>9728300
As wonderful as music is, it has never made me tear up. I can't say the same thing about literature. Literature can creep inside your soul in a very special way that music can't. Music is beauty, literature can be a reflection on one's life, which can be deeply troubling, or perhaps sentimental in the happiest of ways. When is the last time music has given you an existential crisis? Music can help ease the symptoms of such a crisis, but I doubt it could ever be the cause. Ideally, a person should embrace both to be well rounded.
>>
>>9729305
That's not neoclassical you cretin, that's just ambient and some monotonous experimental shit
>>
>>9729419
>monotonous experimental shit
>>
File: 1491495441246.png (56KB, 209x248px) Image search: [Google]
1491495441246.png
56KB, 209x248px
>>9729635
oh, yes, it's the yellow thinking smiley...
>>
>>9728300
No, no literature comes close to music in being able to touch the core of the human soul the way music can. Good music is the voice of the gods

Imagine giving Ulysses or Dostoevsky to some isolated tribe somewhere. Even if translated into a language they knew, they still couldn't make sense of it with all the cultural and philosophical context. But play them a beat, a melody, a harmony, some Mozart... They will understand it. Music requires no translation
>>
How do I get into /lit/ music?
>>
Op did you just read the Birth of Tragedy? If not do so immediately.
>>
File: 126474366.png (7KB, 371x350px) Image search: [Google]
126474366.png
7KB, 371x350px
>>9729726
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXZtGyFyDo
This piece of music is the peak of human civilization
>>
>"If only there were a dogma to believe in. Everything is contradictory, everything is tangential; there are no certainties anywhere. Everything can be interpreted one way and then again interpreted in the opposite sense. The whole of world history can be explained as development and progress and can also be seen as nothing but decadence and meaninglessness. Isn't there any truth? Is there no real and valid doctrine?"

>When I composed those verses I was preoccupied less with music than with an experience—an experience in which that beautiful musical allegory had shown its moral side

It's a little bit cloying by today's standards but you get the idea.
>>
>Can you tell me, don Juan, specifically, what is wrong with my stories? I know that they are nothing, but the rest of my life is just like that."

>"I will repeat this to you," he said. "The stories of a warrior's album are not personal. Your story of the day you were admitted to school is nothing but your assertion about you as the center of everything. You feel, you don't feel; you realize, you don't realize. Do you see what I mean? All of the story is just you."

>"But how can it be otherwise, don Juan?" I asked.

>"In your other story, you almost touch on what I want, but you turn it again into something extremely personal. I know that you could add more details, but all those details would be an extension of your person and nothing else."

>"I sincerely cannot see your point, don Juan," I protested. "Every story seen through the eyes of the witness has to be, perforce, personal."

>"Yes, yes, of course," he said, smiling, delighted as usual by my confusion. "But then they are not stories for a warrior's album. They are stories for other purposes. The memorable events we are after have the dark touch of the impersonal. That touch permeates them. I don't know how else to explain this."
>>
>>9730042
do you even music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSfcE3HH7dk
>>
Music pleases the body while literature touches the soul.
>>
>>9730042
>>9730799
Please, https://youtu.be/wygy721nzRc?t=33m35s
>>
>>9730817
please never post again
>>
>>9730856
You too, retard.
>>
>>9730799
>>9730817
>Beethoven
Pretty acceptable
>Chopin
Get out
>>
>>9730799
Still blows my mind that Beethoven composed this.
>>
>>9730064
sauce? Is this Carlos Castaneda?
>>
>>9728300

They do completely different things you stupid pleb
>>
>>9730817
holy fuck, execute thyself
>>
What's Beethoven's greatest work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIQH9OVH_MM
>>
>>9730943
His 21st piano sonata.
>>
>>9730943
missa solemnis, late string quartets, eroica, 5th, 9th, diabelli variations are my personal favorites but there's so much it's hard to say
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtAHpYIXdU
>>
File: yun5gxk.gif (43KB, 600x174px) Image search: [Google]
yun5gxk.gif
43KB, 600x174px
>>9728300
Can music do this?
>>
>>9730957

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmex-7V0IRI
>>
>>9730996

That comic is actually genius.
>>
>>9730996
yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf1oUkOHFtk
>>
File: D A D D Y.jpg (48KB, 461x683px) Image search: [Google]
D A D D Y.jpg
48KB, 461x683px
>>9730943
Last piano sonata.

Now let's talk about the greatest composer of all time - pic related.
>>
>>9730934
>thyself
Unironical reddit.
>>
>>9731046
wrong

Let's be honest; it's Mozart. Nobody can touch the human soul with such simplicity, such elegance. He maybe overplayed, but never overrated
>>
>>9728300
Everything that is available to literature is also available to operatic and vocal music.
Checkmate
>>
>>9728303
only if you'r a women
>>
>>9731059

Lol
Little thing called J.S. Bach breh
>>
>>9730910
yep

based castaneda
>>
>>9731072
Bach is amazing no doubt, but he is almost too perfect, too mathematical. Wolfie is more emotional, more human
>>
>>9731100

>Bach is mathematical and non-emotional, non-human

This is how I know you're autistic. Bach is by far the most passionate artist in history. His music IS humanity.
>>
>>9731100
>Bach is amazing no doubt, but he is almost too perfect, too mathematical
This is how I feel about Tolstoy
>>
>>9731106
>>9731100
wrong, both are beyond human. humanity and human experience is not worthy of comparison with their music. beethoven I would say is the most human of composers.
>>
>>9731100
the miracle of bach is that his mind blowingly complex perfect mathematical music is also full of divine wonder AND fucking joyous dance everywhere. he does it all, it satiates the mind, the spirit, the soul, and it's even fucking fun.
>>
this thread has essentially confirmed the fact that music is superior to literature
>>
>>9731229

Wrong.
If Bach was beyond humanity he wouldn't be so deeply resonate with us. Bach makes even normies pause.
>>
>>9731046
>>9731059
>>9731072
All wrong. The answer is Wagner.
>>
>>9731267

>Wagner

Pure ideology lol
>>
>>9731275
and spectacle
>>
>>9731229
>both are beyond human. humanity and human experience is not worthy of comparison with their music. beethoven I would say is the most human of composers.
Actually I can agree with this, especially Beethoven being the most human. However if he's the most human then Mozart is the most angelic, the most heavenly. Bach is beautiful though more grounded and cerebral I would say

>>9731267
lol nah. do you sincerely think that or are you just being a tryhard
>>
>>9731255
wrong, bach and mozart's music elevates rather than relates with humanity because it provides a perfection to strive for, something desired by and dreamed about by us imperfect and degenerate humans, but not to be found in our lives or experience. the romantics show the depths and profundity of the human spirit, but bach and mozart show us something greater: their music does not so much resonate with us but rather brings into view a world far beyond our own, something to be yearned for and wept over in its absence and worshipped in its presence but remaining always above us.
>>
>>9731301

wrong. Bach's music is elevated because humans have an elevated part of their being. Humanity is a walking contradiction, equal parts degenerate and noble.
Did you forget that Bach was a man too?
>>
>>9731314
wow this is turning really pretentious, I gotta admit. let's agree to disagree. was fun playing word games with you, though, my lad
>>
>>9731323

>let's agree to disagree

Nah, I'll take this as your concession of defeat.
I've dominated you intellectually just like my penis would dominate you physically.
>>
>>9731330
I could beat the shit out of you and make you wear a frilly dress while I fuck u up your tight rectum, honey. or would u prefer to lick my asshole clean?
>>
>>9731301
right
>>9731314
More or less said the same thing in a different way

>>9731330
no you're dumb
>>
brehs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-mA9OMP3DE
>>
>>9728300
There is no literature on this Earth that can come close to the beauty of the Cavatina from op. 130. Debate me.
>>
>>9730895
Probably the closest thing we will get to knowing what his deafness was like.
>>
>>9731937
literally shut your ears and your deafness will be exactly the same as anyone else's lmao
>>
>>9732189
How do you know Beethoven's deafness was the same as anyone else's
>>
>>9732189
It's not just the deafness, it's everything with it, but clearly you're baiting.
>>
>>9732252
deafness is just the absence of hearing, it doesn't come in flavors
>>
>>9732262
>it doesn't come in flavors
You think everyone's experience of deafness is the same?
What if someone is born deaf? What if someone was born with hearing but became deaf at a young age? What if someone can hear most of their life but then gradually lose hearing, like Beethoven? What if someone is just 50 or 75 or 95% deaf? What if someone is deaf in one ear?
Don't be daft
>>
>>9732325
This. And what if that person was a musician?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oct3qvTqa2g
>>
Anyone else try composing stuff?
>>
>>9730799

>William Fartwrangler....
>>
What's the top tier of music?
>>
>>9732476
Yeah I'm reading Harmony and Voice Leading
>>
>>9732528
I like Bach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvYYBGYW50
>>
>>9729036
literal redditor detected
>>
File: 1393554564919.jpg (726KB, 2301x1834px) Image search: [Google]
1393554564919.jpg
726KB, 2301x1834px
>>9732528
>>
>>9728300
>Is there any literature that even comes close to top tier music?
bruh Walter Pater asked this question in literally 1871. The answer is still no but it doesn't mean you shouldn't fuck with literature bruh.
>>
>>9732575
It's tough sometimes, but seeing the finished sheet music and knowing you made every mark is cool.
>>
File: file.jpg (33KB, 403x453px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
33KB, 403x453px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A0mN2p_Ms0
This Nietzsche guy is pretty good.
>>
>>9732744
Scriabin is top tier.

Bach and Beethoven are the best.

Mozart is overrated, if you think he is the best composer you're WRONG.
>>
>>9732963
Nope, you're wrong. Overplayed, yes. Overrated, no. Mozart is simply the best. One day you may come to realize

Have some Haydn
https://youtu.be/4t3Vmo_EM8Y
>>
>>9732744
This is an excellent performance, perfectly nails the artistry and philosophy of Scriabin. If you like Matsuev, you'll also love Sultanov's playing of Scriabin. No one does a better interpretation, IMO, and his performance of Scriabin's Sonata No.5 is the greatest piece of music I have ever heard (Scriabin being my favorite personal composer too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tROZ8pc7X_c

This isn't the same one I have on my computer, which comes off of his Live in Japan recording, that is specifically my favorite, but this one is magnificent enough to give you an idea.
>>
How do I understand classical music?
>>
>>9733072
You don't it's just random sounds
>>
>>9733072
Start with the Hurrians (last minute of this is especially great)
https://youtu.be/QpxN2VXPMLc

From there work you way through the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantine Hymns, Hildegard Von Bingen, Sephardic hymns, Gregorian Chant, Monteverdi, etc, and before you know if you'll be able to understand the modern classical masters like Phillip Glass
>>
>>9733097
Oh and I forgot Michael Praetorius and Andrea Falconieri
>>
>>9733097
Thanks.
>>
>>9733072
From a total baseline, use this resource:

http://oyc.yale.edu/music/musi-112

You can find the textbook he uses on libgen. This is if you want to understand the various techniques and formal aspects that make up a classical work.

If you mean 'understand' in a broad way, like 'getting it' or any kind of enjoyment, then the above resource will still be valuable to you, but you could also just learn to like it the same way you presumably came to like other music: listen to a bunch of it, get accustomed to the sound, and enjoy. A lot of posters here, one far more musically educated than I, do argue you cannot ever really enjoy classical if you don't know the technical aspects, but I disagree, there's definitely a 'surface-level' way to enjoy classical music.

>>9733097
:^)

>>9733109
He's mostly joking, although some kind of chronological route isn't a bad idea but I'd still recommend starting with the big names and then going chronologically from there if you want, or exploring the era the composer you like is from (i.e. start with Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart---then explore Baroque, Romantic, or Classical respectively depending on which you like the most).
>>
>>9733097
Glass is ass for high schoolers that want to look smart
>>
>>9733119
Thanks mate, exactly what I was looking for.

I kind of figured he was joking.
>>
>>9733119
Wtf, I wasn't joking you Muppet. If you want to understand music, it's like literature or anything else; if you want to git gud, you start with the Greeks. Well technically Hurrians, Egyptians, then Greeks. You think buddy can just jump straight into the big names like Bach Mozart with no prior grounding whatsoever? Don't give bad advice you scrub Muppet
>>
do u guys like gorillaz
>>
>>9733142
ye thats why i fuck ur mom so often LOL
>>
>>9733132
I still maintain you're joking---the humor of which is not lost on me, don't worry!---but for the sake of eliminating every doubt and laying it out for the guy who asked for help in case he's conflicted, anyone who actually starts with pre-Classical era music is gonna bore themselves to sleep because the standards and styles have changed so drastically that a newcomer will find themselves not only intensely bored but severely alienated by listening that stuff. Like if someone had never read a work of literature in English, recommending they start with Chaucer is just a bad idea. They'll end up turned off.

And I do agree one starting with Mozart and Bach will miss a whole lot, but so what? The point is to like the style of music first. It can be learned latter.

Is this now the part where you laugh at me for taking the time to actually respond to your post?
>>
>>9729333
Isn't it sad that the patricians of /mu/ are condemned to stay in a containment thread unlike us?
>>
>>9728323
This is a pleb opinion. There is plenty of music that is most appreciable from a cerebral and intellectual perspective. Active listening is really important in dissecting pretty much any truly challenging music.
>>
>>9733154
It's less about liking the music; Bach, Mozart and pretty much any other art music are only really appreciated with competent musical literacy that most people are sorely lacking.
>>
>>9729305
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZi2XneKu2o
>>
>>9733211
>Formalism
>>
>>9733211
You can be musically literate without having to listen to the Greeks.
>>
>>9733227
I'm not saying to start with the Greeks.

The proper starting place is probably to learn an instrument and/or music theory so you can understand the musical language.
>>
>>9733253
The other guy said to start with the Greeks, but yes you should probably know some theory.
>>
>>9733222
It's not necessarily formalism to suggest that the language of music is to be at least understood in order to appreciate music. To argue against that is to suggest that one can appreciate the greatest literature whilst not being able to read.
>>
>>9733211
That's the key, though: "really appreciated." I've already admitted the newcomer in my recommendation would only have a 'surface-level' appreciation for them, but so what? That level can still be intense and sincere. My point is people are more enthusiastic about studying music theory once they already like some classical music, even if their reasons are only "it sounds nice" or "it evokes emotions in a pleasurable way" because they can always build on that foundation later.
>>
>>9732325
>You think everyone's experience of deafness is the same?
by defin8ition deafness would have to be deafness
>>
>>9728312
welcome to /lit/, new guy
>>
>>9733264
Someone can appreciate music without knowing theory just by listening to it and enjoying it. This is still appreciation on some level. You're talking about 'real' appreciation which means why the music is arranged the way it is, which isn't analogous to literacy in a general sense, i.e. decoding symbols into sounds and sounds into words that make sense. 'Real' appreciation is misleading -- you mean to say that to appreciate something beyond a basic aural sense of enjoyment is 'real', but you only offer formalism as a way of thinking about music more specifically. This is a disservice to the variety of different music types , purposes, audiences, etc. Just as one cannot appreciate 600 years of painting or literature in a single way, the same is true of music.
>>
>>9733035
overplayed?
>>
>>9733063
Listen to Sofronitsky.
>>
Liszt is the most underrated composer
>>
>>9733311
Liszt was a fucking CHAD who cared more about showing off his virtuosity than real musicality. Chopin and Brahms are /our guys/.
>>
>>9733307
For Scriabin's piano works, my collection consists of Sofronitsky (who is my overall favorite), Sultanov (just the 5th Sonata), Hamelin, and Ashkenazy. Sofronitsky is indeed masterful in his Scriabin performances and is without a doubt my most played, but the Sultanov piece is sublime, beyond all other works and words.

Fun fact: Scriabin's Sonata No.5 was also Henry Miller's favorite work of music.
>>
>>9731011
Captain BeeFart geddoud of here
>>
>>9733326
Looks like you've bought the propaganda by academic fucktards that disparages romantic era composers for being bombastic and superficial. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart don't even approach anywhere near the depth of profundity of late Liszt.
>>
>>9733353
It's a really good piece indeed, my man.
>>
>>9728673
I really hope this was ironic, genuinely don't post a lot but this drivel has actually made me quite angry, well done if that was your goal.
>>
File: henlo 1 gf pls.jpg (34KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
henlo 1 gf pls.jpg
34KB, 657x527px
>>9730943

7th symphony, 2nd movement.
>>
>>9733119
bernstein's lectures are also comfy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6DY3I6m2_i8B3Wb3rxPNxXEPavny4QdD

especially #3 and #4 deal with analogies between music and rhetoric/language.
>>
>>9733367
Glad you really enjoyed it, anon. If you ever feel like taking the time to find it (or just using soulseek), you really gotta get the "Live in Japan" performance. I don't know if you're as in love with Scriabin as I am, but it's truly worth it solely for the 5th Sonata recording---you'll never need another version. The Chopin and Rachmaninoff pieces are superb as well, the best Chopin's "Polonaise No.6 in A-flat major, Op.53, 'Heroic'" I've ever heard as well.

>>9733587
I'll check it out, thank you!
>>
>>9733603
Yea I've already listen to "Live in Japan", great performance. I'd say my favorite is Sofronitksy in the Moscow Museum.
>>
>>9733270
This is why analitic was a mistake
>>
>>9733072
Have a soul and listen attentively
>>
>>9733618
I'll also be sure to check that one out. Always on the lookout for great Scriabin performances.
>>
Are you guys just being smug cunts or do you actually believe what you're posting.

Poetry and music have completed each other for thousands of years now.
>>
>>9733806
They're smug post-Enlightenment cunts with no historical understanding of the arts
>>
>>9730875
What kind of pleb dislikes Chopin?
>>
File: le grumpy music theorist face.jpg (25KB, 590x895px) Image search: [Google]
le grumpy music theorist face.jpg
25KB, 590x895px
>>9734546
no discernible talent apart from muh mazurka and muh waltz. basically the skrillex of his generation.
>>
I like Tchaikovsky. Does that make me uncultured?
>>
>>9729682
niggers being able to understand something doesn't make it better
>>
>>9734622
Even pop-chopin is amazing. Kys bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6b3swbnWg
>>
File: 30448_1[1].jpg (16KB, 300x205px) Image search: [Google]
30448_1[1].jpg
16KB, 300x205px
Who is the Hardol Bloom of Classical music?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybZXMMCXm68
>>
File: schenker masterwork articles.jpg (12KB, 300x231px) Image search: [Google]
schenker masterwork articles.jpg
12KB, 300x231px
>>9735034
see
>>9734622
>>
>>9734622
kek, you're so full of shit.
>>
File: beethovenbait.jpg (26KB, 632x683px) Image search: [Google]
beethovenbait.jpg
26KB, 632x683px
>>9733363
>Bach, Beethoven, Mozart don't even approach anywhere near the depth of profundity of late Liszt.
>>
Literature and music are mediums that transcend the human trap and speak to both the conscious and subconscious foundations of our being. Words can only properly induce truth and beauty in the oft-parting way of moralization and narrative. Music can translate feeling in a manner of expression that will never be really present in literature. And good literature often has melodic qualities, whereas good music can contain insightful and witty lyric.

They're both integral. That said I have a very fringe, neurotic passion for both. I only listen to Gucci Mane La Fleur, and most all of what I read are dead reactionaries. It does little for me practically, but it's good enough escapism.
>>
>>9736340
>escapism
absolute pleb detected
>>
File: 1499243696479.jpg (42KB, 316x311px) Image search: [Google]
1499243696479.jpg
42KB, 316x311px
Pinnacle of western music, if anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44sabKxEhsI
Best performance on youtube, there's a better one with Abbado and Lucerne fest but (((they))) took it down
>>
>>9736056
Looks like another person bought the big 3 propaganda. Liszt is the greatest composer of all time.
>>
>>9736821
That's not the fourth movement of Mozart's 41st? You must have posted this by accident.
>>
>>9736821
>>9736900
>Mahler
>Liszt
I want avant-teens to leave.
>>
>>9736821
this is so corny
>>
>>9728300
What is music really from a jungian/theory of forms kind of perspective? Is it just communication through archetypes?
>>
>>9737034
something made up
>>
>>9737040
??? I mean what are you getting when you hear music? It's obviously a subjective form of communication in that people get different things from the same piece. But it sets a story/creates mental images so in that way it's synonymous with archetypes of the kind that we transmit through things like body language.
>>
>>9728300
Listening to little known composers is the ultimate redpill for classical music. There are certain channels such as Unsung Masterworks and KuhlauDifeng which have fucking hundreds of different composers who I hadn't heard of, and about 75% of it is really good and unique. I've been listening this way, along with mainstream composers, for a few months now and I'm not even close to exhausting the selection on youtube. Seriously crazy shit.
>>
>>9728300
You're retarded.
>>9728303
More? No.
>>9728323
This is closer to the truth, but music can be dry/intellectual as well and literature can be sensual. The mediums might be better suited to express the qualities you listed, but they're not constrained by them.
>>9728344
Yes, music culture is arguably in an even worse place than philosophy/literature, but that shouldn't matter. You can still "converse" with the composer or the enviorment of the music.
>>9728371
Good post desu, although I'd say that telling stories to a group can evoke feelings comparable to playing an instrument, although that's arguably music as well.
>>9728393
>>9728673
>>9729036
>>9729635
>>9730817
>>9730810
>>9731011
Fuck off. Here's your (You)
>>9729333
Nobody is surprised. /mu/ doesn't even pretend to read.
>>9729726
>>9733072
Get a music history book, start with medieval choral music. Listen along as you read about the genres. Work your way up to the middle of the 20th century. Maybe pick up some music theory while you're at it.
>>9731275
Are you one of those cucks who refuses to listen to Wagner because he doesn't want to catch any bad attitudes from him?
>>9731937
You do realize that composers can lose their hearing but still sight read and aurally play their music in their head.
>>
File: 1499194875303.jpg (38KB, 498x700px) Image search: [Google]
1499194875303.jpg
38KB, 498x700px
>>9734546
You just revealed your power level with that post kid
>>
>>9737148
>You do realize that composers can lose their hearing but still sight read and aurally play their music in their head.
That's not what I was saying dumbass
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.