[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since Dick(tease) didn't care to elaborate any further than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: AVT_Philip-K-Dick_8710.jpg (38KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
AVT_Philip-K-Dick_8710.jpg
38KB, 340x340px
Since Dick(tease) didn't care to elaborate any further than "its a German thing lolol" can anyone explain what the significance of this is?

>Hamlet wasn't written by Shakespeare, it was merely written by a man whose name was Shakespeare.
>>
This is the first time i'm hearing about this Dick fellow but he sounds utterly retarded
>>
>>9726192
That the Artist is not, ontologically, a being on its own. Its merely the value, found through reduction from the Art, that you assign to the individual responsible for creating the Art.

The obsession with truly becoming the persona assigned to them by their audience really has an effect on many artists, especially the performance arts. See Truman Capote, Tennessee Williams and Michael Jackson (and, arguably, Ernest Hemingway)
>>
I think he's suggesting Marlowe was Shakespeare
>>
>>9726195
I hope you are joking.
>>
>>9726237
Naw man. That quote is the most pseudo intellectual drivel I have very read with my own two eyes. It looks like some middle school art kid wants me to think real hard about it and call him smart
>>
>>9726258
Nah, he's just a drug addled schizo
>>
>>9726260
That was the second option I had in my head, but for real this dude sounds like Jaden smith.
>>
>>9726192
What is this from? Googling it turns up nothing, and I've read half of Dick's oeuvre and a lot of his Exegesis and I don't remember that turning up anywhere, and I have a pretty good memory for what I read. Anyway, I think it's a joke about Shakespearean authorship theories and debates.
>>
>>9726195
He's a pretty well-known author in sci-fi, in the same tier as Asimov, Clarke, and Niven. Blade Runner, Total Recall, Through a Scanner, The man in the high Castle, and Minority Report were all based on his stories.
>>
>>9726277
It was about peculiarities in the German language, Shakespeare not apparently having special significance, and it was in Valis. He might have said Macbeth. Honestly I couldn't be assed to track it down so I risked paraphrasing.
>>
>>9726307
>It was about peculiarities in the German language, Shakespeare not apparently having special significance, and it was in Valis. He might have said Macbeth. Honestly I couldn't be assed to track it down so I risked paraphrasing.
I knew this wasn't an exact quote by Dick. I looked it up in VALIS and, sure enough, you simplified it and made Dick sound like a dumbass. The full quote is:

>But an even more basic semantic problem lies exposed, here. Suppose I say to Fat, or Kevin says to Fat, "You did not experience God. You merely experienced something with the qualities and aspects and nature and powers and wisdom and goodness of God." This is like the joke about the German proclivity toward double abstractions; a German authority on English literature declares, "Hamlet was not written by Shakespeare; it was merely written by a man named Shakespeare." In English the distinction is verbal and without meaning, although German as a language will express the difference (which accounts for some of the strange features of the German mind).

The joke is that it doesn't matter who wrote the plays, because there must have been some conscious entity who wrote the plays and knowing their name doesn't change anything; they're still what we think of as "Shakespeare". Also, Dick knew German, so I guess he may be making some point about its tendency towards abstraction and strange conceptual/verbal trickery (i.e., as in Heidegger and Husserl)
>>
File: Sancho.jpg (51KB, 342x470px) Image search: [Google]
Sancho.jpg
51KB, 342x470px
>>9726343
Actually I'm rather impressed with how well I quoted him. Obviously I wasn't going to remember the whole thing.
>>
>>9726258
The quote is kinda shit and i don't remember the context but Dick is one of the best science fiction writer
>>
>>9726353
You took it completely out of context and made it seem like some serious statement by PKD when in fact PKD was himself quoting a joke as part of something bigger in VALIS.

>>9726192
>can anyone explain what the significance of this is?

I can explain it now. The significance is that quoting out of context is stupid.
>>
>>9726395
Oh yeah, I suppose I forgot to mention that it was a joke. I was having trouble grasping the punchline. Then again

>German humor
>>
>>9726192
How the fuck can you quote something from Dick and taking him seriously?
For fuck sake, the dude wrote more 10000 pages of gnostic rambling, everything he does is under a million layers of post-irony.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.