[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i want to read one of his books on linguistics - which one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3808.jpg (25KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3808.jpg
25KB, 220x293px
i want to read one of his books on linguistics - which one is most influential?
>>
>>9725780
Course in General Linguistics by Saussure
>>
>>9725785
have already read that - want something by chomsky
>>
I would begin with Syntactic Structures. You might also look into an introductory book on mathematical linguistics. Set theory and logic are crucial.
>>
>>9725808

Do you have any actual interest in linguistics? Or do you want to keep circlejerking over old idead that have surpassed?
>>
>>9725854
If you have any interest in linguistics you need to understand mathematics. Any patterns you detect need to be put into coherent organization. And yes you absolutely need set theory for that.
>>
>>9725780
>>9725808

Unless you have a healthy understanding of syntax and morphology, most of Syntactic Structures will probably go over your head.

I would start with Chomsky's review of Verbal Behavior by BF Skinner, which was critical in the movement from behaviorism to cognitivism, and thus in the development of 20th century philosophy and science.

https://chomsky.info/1967____/
>>
>>9725911

Wasn't my point, and I agree. Always keep in mind that Chomsky changes his mind every decade, and whatever you read that isn't his newest text is already outdated. Moreover, there is enough evidence, both sociolinguistic and cognitive, that his ideas on generative grammar are not very valid. If you want to learn about syntax and/or morphology, go and pick whatever book on syntax and get started, if you just have interest in what the man says, get his latest texts.
>>
>>9727734
i want to know about his ideas that there are innate structures in us that give rise to aspects of language. tell me about it
>>
>>9727790

I can tell you that it's true that our brain has certain areas that are highly activated by, and highly correlated with, language use. Furthermore, I can also say that it's a distinct human feature that is key in our evolutionary tract. The problem with calling them "innate structures in us" is that it's ambiguous and doesn't really answer anything. With that said, his work on generative grammar did pave the way towards our current conceptualization of how grammar works, and although, of course, language is understood via patterns, it's not so cut and dry. That is, it doesn't work in the categorical way that Chomsky posits, and we have enough evidence from language variation to show it doesn't.
>>
>>9727846
what something good to read about this
>>
>>9725780
Syntatic Structures ('57) and Aspects of the Theory of Syntax ('65) are his most historically influential.

Aspects' first part is mostly philosophical, and can probably be understood without prior training in linguistics, but the latter half is going to be close to impenetrable at points without prior familiarity with generative syntax – it's theory-internal.

Structures is possible to read fresh, but it will be a little difficult. Half the exposition is methodological, and probably requires no background in linguistics, and the other half sketches a formal framework. The latter may be a little hard to wrap your head around if you have no exposure whatsoever to generative syntax, or the notion of a phrase structure grammar or transformation, or if not that, then at least a familiarity with mathematical formal systems generally.

Chomksy has later work that's more accessible where he espouses extremely controversial opinions – so I'm not sure if'd call that stuff 'most influential' in the sense that many people even in the field are bewildered by it.

If Structures is a tough read, this anon

>>9725935
has it right.
>>
>>9725780
>>9725780
You dawg, I heard you like linguistics, so I wrote a rather involved and complicated book about how I can't exactly explain it to you using words, which will always fall short of having the abuility to explain themselves properly, yet at the same time can express the aformentioned concept.
>>
what's a good survey of linguistics? nothing primary like saussure, but a sort of summary of what we know up to now. or dont know. just an account of the live and dead theories
>>
>>9725780
Chomsky thinks slavery was better than capitalism because slave masters took care of their slaves.
>>
>>9729158
yeah, i dont care about his political shit
>>
>>9729027
>>9729027
The standard survey textbook on linguistics is the Language Files, which I think is into its 12th edition.

Beware, though, it's very surfacey. There are too many subfields in linguistics for a single textbook to cover all of them in any depth. However, it will give you a summary intro to the core sub-disicplines: phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics. It also may be prohibitively expensive...
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.