[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American /his/tory buffs, what happened during the mid 19th century

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

American /his/tory buffs, what happened during the mid 19th century that turned everyone so liberal and opposed to slavery and anti womens rights? It seems like it laid the foundations of the 60's that turned everything to hell.

I know Transcendentalism was a huge backbone of these new mindsets, was there something similar in this nature before it? It was very conservative just before transcendentalists, there were literary realists like Jane Austen, so I'm asking a few stages back.

Also I imagine literary works were the most influential on culture back then.

Where did liberal works stem from in literary terms?
>>
desu the whole 1800s is kind of a void in my cultural knowledge.
I am curious about this as well.
>>
>>9725121

Industrial revolution. "Liberalism" is a tool of wealthy businessman to get cheap labor into the country and to divide people via economic politics. The Republicans post-civil war let in unchecked numbers of immigrants and democrats sperged out against blacks rather than protecting "American culture." That laid the groundwork for the "melting pot" (which didn't exist until it was a convenient talking point for those in power) that diversified and liberalized the country.

Basically the civil war destroyed everything traditional about the country, for better or for worse. Even the liberal Christians of the 1700s and early 1800s were against the type of liberalism we understand today, i.e. "an inclusive and diverse America"
>>
why don't you ask in /his/ instead of /lit/ you stupid plonker
>>
>>9725121

Also don't misconstrued anti-slavery with liberalism. Many of the anti-slavery advocates of the pre-civil war era were conservatives. That is true of both America and Britain. It was the Tory's who actually managed to kill the slave trade.
>>
>>9725173
I did do that but I expect less of his than I do of lit
>>>/his/3049395

>>9725162
I think Transcendentalists weren't liberal in a particular sense, but you do see the social justice, from whatever political spectrum it's from, start to show in movements like these. Is this the first large one?
>>
Satan.
>>
>>9725162
Unironically, this. The people responsible for modern ideas of oppressed minorities and worker's rights are of the same group as the slave drivers and factory managers. They simply stayed ahead of the curve, particularly by manipulating the rising education system to proselytize the youth
>>
>>9725121
>turned everyone so liberal and opposed to slavery and anti womens rights? It seems like it laid the foundations of the 60's that turned everything to hell.

considering a fucking war was fought over slaves and women didn't get the vote until post ww1 I think your premise is flawed.
>>
>>9727287
OP phrased his question like those republican phone banks that only want to talk to old people.
>>
File: Cabin.jpg (213KB, 441x680px) Image search: [Google]
Cabin.jpg
213KB, 441x680px
>>
>>9725162
Pretty much this. A country consisting mainly of north european protestant farmers was turned into a playground for moneyed interests. The same is now occurring in much of Europe. No one who fought in the civil war, on either side, was fighting for the country we know today.

But I disagree with you on the civil war destroying tradition. Hordes of foreigner were being permitted to enter long before the civil war. The only reason culture fell so fast afterward was that we had depleted England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, and Scandinavia of potential immigrants. Most people expected immigration to slow down by itself once people from similar cultures had become unavailable. Of course, the large businesses didn't give a damn about culture, and opened the doors to the rest of Europe, even Turkey and the middle east, which is why the immigration act was passed. Not that it did much good. They only had to lie low for a few decades before literally outnumbering the native population with foreigners.
>>
>>9727337
>>9727337
>They only had to lie low for a few decades before literally outnumbering the native population with foreigners.

But the native americans were outnumbered by foreigners long before the civil war, Anon
>>
>>9727376
>But the native americans were outnumbered by foreigners long before the civil war, Anon
Yes, it's a shame that their were none left by the time the colonists arrived, having been killed by various other Indian tribes.

And they had that in common with your vocabulary, because you mean "aboriginal."
>>
>>9727392
(You)
^ Don't spend it all in one place, child :)
>>
>>9727402
Lad, what were you expecting to get? A serious reply to your cheap gibe?
>>
File: aboriginal.png (13KB, 649x303px) Image search: [Google]
aboriginal.png
13KB, 649x303px
>>9727392
Much like your intelligence is retarded, so are your abilities to grasp synonyms and accurate accounts of history

pic related
>>
>>9727434
>talks about vocab
>doesn't know what synonym means
>>
>>9727457
Native is literally listed as a synonym in his photo. Are you just fucking stupid?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.