[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 'Jonah Historically Regarded' the worst chapter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1617-poster_moby-dick.jpg (181KB, 529x700px) Image search: [Google]
1617-poster_moby-dick.jpg
181KB, 529x700px
Is 'Jonah Historically Regarded' the worst chapter in Moby Dick?

Ishmael is sometimes insufferable!
>>
No it's Cetology.

The best chapter is A Squeeze of the Hand. :^)
>>
>>9722368
If this isn't bait, I feel very sorry for you. Nobody deserves to be born retarded.
>>
>>9722380
Not bait, I'm serious. I love the sermon in the beginning of the novel, but when it comes to the historical accuracy much late Sag-Harbor makes some fair points only to be dismissed with some terrible arguments by Ishmael.

>Maybe the whale was a boat or dead
>perhaps they went by the Cape of Good Hope (which is the longer route)

Dante, for example, makes a fair point in Paradiso about not being able to understand the divine in a rational manner as it is unfathomable to our muddled thinking. I'm not new to the idea, but Ishmael is using earthly arguments and not succeeding.

Not to mention the whole deal comes shortly after the 'we wuz whalemen and shit' chapter, which is equally obnoxious. Ishmael more than redeems himself later with 'The Tail' mind.
>>
>>9722368
>>9722376
Fuck both of you
>>
>>9722522
Chill dude, one of the chapters must be the worst, why do you object so strongly.
>>
Bumpump
>>
fuck you OP, there are no bad chapters
>>
>third mate is a whale expert

Ok Melville, whatever you say.
>>
>>9723666
>implying Cetology was a good chapter
>>
>>9724342
>Believing this
>>
>>9722368
The final Melville redpill is acknowledging that he was a shite storyteller. I mean, nearly everything he ever wrote was taken in some degree from real life. The man was a prose engineer to the highest degree but he couldn't spin a yarn to save his life.
>>
Probably the four chapters in a row about the whale's skeleton
>>
>>9722469
>Dante, for example, makes a fair point in Paradiso about not being able to understand the divine in a rational manner as it is unfathomable to our muddled thinking. I'm not new to the idea, but Ishmael is using earthly arguments and not succeeding.
That was literally the point. Everybody on the ship had their own way of rationalizing Moby Dick and the chase. Read all of the mate's conversations and soliloquy's and you'll see it. Ishmael for his part was just arrogant and believed everything could be explained in "earthly" ways.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.