[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the angriest writer you can think of? I struggle to find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 7

File: 1495062791390.jpg (2MB, 3000x2317px) Image search: [Google]
1495062791390.jpg
2MB, 3000x2317px
Who is the angriest writer you can think of?

I struggle to find writers who capture the feeling of "rage" accurately. So who do you think done it well?

It has to be a certain kind of rage though, not "angry" like the feeling of a burst of anger... but more a long lasting burn of it? A lifelong anger?
>>
>>9715718
The very first word of the Iliad is “RAGE.” The “RAGE” of Achilles when his honor is violated and his rightful prize and love is taken from him by his very own commander.
>>
Yeah but I've read that already, and it wasn't quite what I had in mind.
>>
>>9715742
Meant for >>9715730
>>
No one on here seems to care for her, but I have not felt such visceral anger seething from all of Toni Morrison's bibliography
>>
>>9715769
>Women writer
Yes, I'd rather not waste my precious time, thanks
>>
fritz zorn
>>
>>9715718
I like to think I do a pretty good job.
>>
>>9715786
Doubt it

>>9715782
Thanks
>>
The author of my diary desu. Also Louis Ferdinand Celine and unironically Adolf Hitler. Think I'm joking do you, both of their most lauded translations in English come from the same translator, Ralph Manheim
>>
>>9715810
rude
>>
>>9715718
Angry people don't write good books.
>>
>>9715823
I've already read Hitler. He definitely fits that description and the kind of "rage" I'm looking for in a work. His speeches are pretty much exactly that

>>9715842
Bullshit
>>
Despite the fact that he repressed his rage, I'd say that Ernest Hemingway was probably one of the angriest men to walk this earth.
>>
>>9715868
What makes you say that? I don't think so necessarily
>>
Gass immediately comes to mind. Hell he's even quoted as saying something like "I write because I hate. A lot. Hard." or something or other along those lines.
>>
>>9715718
Thomas Bernhard. Trust me.
>>
>>9715842
This is true, especially on the level of rage. You may find someone who can mimic this well, however someone truly writing is such a state would appear retarded and unreadable imo
>>
>>9715718
probably one of those black chaps like james baldwin. they're always a bit miffed about something or other
>>
>>9715922
Not the right kind of rage
>>
>>9715868
Why though? He didn't seem to be an angry man, I think he was just sad for life's meaningless. But this lack of meaning is the center of his literature.
>>
>>9715718
Gaddis. The Recognitions is his only non-overtly bitter, angry book. Even J R has about as much anger as it does comedy
>>
>>9715947
Cheers
>>
>>9715940
>Not the right kind of rage

>but more a long lasting burn of it? A lifelong anger?
that's exactly the kind of rage james baldwin had
>>
>>9715966
I'll check it out
>>
Ezra Pound. Always angry, always a little outside of society. Huge narcissist whose ego survived psychological torture that would make others gibber. Paranoid.

Les Fleurs du Mal. Many rage poems, especially the poetic story "Assomons Les Pauvres!/Let's Beat the Poor!"

Chuck Palahniuk. Low-literature anger, he tried to crib his ethos from people around him. Fight Club really is good.

Notes from Underground. Nasty book, the main character has a lot of rage, and is largely a depiction of Dostoevsky himself.
>>
Parts of Dostoyevsky I think. In general, he conveys emotions very directly and oassionately
>>
>>9715769
>This is correct.
>>
Hamlet has some of the best rage passages in all of literature desu
>>
Mein kampf is easily the angriest book I've ever read, desu
>>
>>9716051
>>9716044
>>9716032
Read a few already, but thanks for the suggestions

>>9716058
Hitler's passion was second to none
He was clearly an artist at heart
>>
>>9716032
what sorta psychological torture did pound undergo?
>>
>>9716114
Metal cage treatment in Pisa, followed by internment under indeterminate conditions in a mental hospital for the criminally insane, for 13 years. For a long period of Pound's capture, he was unaware whether his life was or wasn't in danger.

It's not as if he was somehow treated any worse than some others, but it's impressive that he didn't leave the experience humbled at all. He gave roman salutes to reporters when he arrived in Italy after his internment, and said "All America is an asylum."
>>
>>9715718

Jim Goad's opinion pieces for the alt-right online magazine "Taki's mag" were the first thing that came to mind for me, OP. A steady, seething drumbeat of contempt for contemporary society, especially the Obama years.

Goad had an unhappy childhood, which explains the better part of his work.
>>
>>9715776
bruh women are the angriest people on the planet
>>
>>9716293
No they're not at all
>>
File: panzram.jpg (60KB, 330x499px) Image search: [Google]
panzram.jpg
60KB, 330x499px
>>9715718
>>
Some of Arno Schmidt's short stories show his frustration and anger towards whom he perceives as bigots and fools. He tips his fedora a bit too much for my taste, though. You can also read The Dwarf by Pär Lagerkvist to experience pure disgust and hatred through the eyes of the protagonist.
>>
>>9717795
An anti-bigot is the opposite of rage though, I feel.
If someone is truly full of rage, they'll be a bigot in some way.
An elitist bigot would probably be full of lifelong rage.
>>
tumblr
>>
>>9717822
full of teenage angst and stupidity, not rage
>>
>>9717757
thanks
>>
>>9716032
I disagree that Pound was angry. He had some troll in him though. He was a nice dude IRL.

>>9716240
This is true but it didn't last long. Eventually he disintegrated and disowned much of his work. I think it really did fuck his shit up.
>>
No one I've read even comes close to Thomas Bernhard.
>>
Lit will feel weird about this, but the guy that wrote Kick Ass. You can tell he fucking hates his own audience
>>
icycalm
>>
>>9718233
Are you a fucking moron? What are you doing here?
>>
GRRRRRR ANGRY
>>
>>9715718
Whoever wrote my diary
>>
>>9715718
My. Twisted. World.
>>
>>9718492
Garbage. Terriblly written and it's autistic virgin rage.

If a guy can't even manage to get laid in this life and he actually wants to, then he has nothing worthwhile to say at all

you're a pleb
>>
>>9715894
THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>9715769
I thought of her too. But OP doesn't mean righteous anger than stems from injustice lmao
>>
File: henry-rollins.jpg (123KB, 499x615px) Image search: [Google]
henry-rollins.jpg
123KB, 499x615px
Rollins
>>
>>9718533
>Rollins
He can't write for shit
Plus, he's a retard with a low IQ
>>
>>9718664
Why else do you think he's so angry all of the time?
>>
>>9715894
Was going to post this.
>>
>>9717963
What? Read De Usura again. Of course, he wasn't angry all the time like OP wants, but if you're angry all the time you have a personality disorder anyways.

Pound "disintegrated" when all of his friends died. He was the last of the Imagists, hell, the last of the Fascists if you include him under that title. God damn why do I have such a bookboner for Ezra Pound.
>>
>>9718809

underrated
>>
>>9715718
Read Nietzsche's Untimely Meditation on David Strauss. It's a hundred pages of seething invective against Strauss and all German culture (or, according to him, the pseudo-culture of the cultivated philistine).
>>
George Eliot.
>>
Theodor Adorno
>>
>>9715894
Absolutely. I've only read Concrete so far but it was visible even there
>>
bukowski? he has a lot of pent up anger he should have adressed long ago...
>>
>>9719289
Bukowski has anger, but it's hard to call that anger "rage". His anger is less about something and always seems more in the moment - maybe he's mad at a woman he just fucked, or maybe he's mad at his fellow contemporary poets, or maybe he's angry because he's poor. That's all fine and still a good read, but it's not "rage", or a long burning passionate anger
>>
>>9718492
yeah, this is pretty much rage and alienation incarnate. fuck good writing, OP asked for angry shit, and this is it.
>>
>>9719289
bukowksi wasn't really raging though
He was more like bossa novva music of literature
>>
>>9719454
It's not angry, it's embarassing. Reads like a 13 year old kids journal after his parents told him off

Garbage.
>>
>>9715894
don't forget his fellow Austrian Elfriede Jelinek!
>>
OP here. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be reading most of them.

Stop suggesting women.
Women are bad writers for the most part, and there is no way they can be full of the rage I speak of, since it's not in their nature.

Thanks anyway
>>
>>9715718

for the sake of obviousness...

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/48999/daddy-56d22aafa45b2
>>
>>9719541
>Woman
I don't think so
>>
>>9717757
>Carl Panzram (June 28, 1891 – September 5, 1930) was a serial killer, rapist, arsonist and burglar. In jailhouse confessions and his autobiography, he claimed that he had committed 21 murders—most of which could not be corroborated—and over 1,000 sodomies of boys and men. After a series of imprisonments and escapes, he was executed in 1930 for the murder of a prison employee at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary.

>In light of his extensive criminal record, he received a 25-years-to-life sentence. Upon arriving at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary, he warned the warden, "I'll kill the first man that bothers me", and was given a solitary job in the prison laundry room. On June 20, 1929, he beat the laundry foreman to death with an iron bar, and was sentenced to death.[16] He refused to allow any appeals of his sentence. In response to offers from death penalty opponents and human rights activists to intervene, he wrote, "The only thanks you and your kind will ever get from me for your efforts on my behalf is that I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it."[4]

>While on death row, Panzram was befriended by a guard named Henry Lesser (1902–1983), who provided him with writing materials.[17][18] While awaiting execution he wrote a detailed summary of his crimes and nihilistic philosophy.[19] It began with a straightforward statement:

>“In my lifetime I have murdered 21 human beings, I have committed thousands of burglaries, robberies, larcenies, arsons and, last but not least, I have committed sodomy on more than 1,000 male human beings. For all these things I am not in the least bit sorry.

>Panzram was hanged on September 5, 1930. As guards attempted to place a black hood over his head, he allegedly spat in the executioner's face.[20] When asked for any last words, he responded, "Yes, hurry it up, you Hoosier bastard! I could kill a dozen men while you're screwing around!"

Seems angry enough.
>>
>>9720285
He sounds deliciously angry
>>
>>9715718
Gaddis
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison

Ellison has a reputation for being abrasive and argumentative.[18] He has generally agreed with this assessment, and a dust jacket from one of Ellison's books described him as "possibly the most contentious person on Earth". Ellison has filed numerous grievances and attempted lawsuits; as part of a dispute about fulfillment of a contract, he once sent 213 bricks to a publisher postage due, followed by a dead gopher via fourth-class mail.[19]
>>
>>9715718
everyone in every video game's chat desu
>>
>>9719507

13yo kids rage tho
>>
>>9720285
He was so articulate too.
>>
>>9716032
Fight Club was too kek-worthy to take any rage seriously.
>>
>>9715730
Yeah but this anger is resolved. Achille's anger is a problem to overcome. Homer wasn't angry.
>>
Goonan
>>
Houellebecq reads like a really angry guy trying to pretend he's not angry and just "telling it like it is".
>>
>>9715718
Bukowski
>>
Piero Scaruffi
>>
>>9715718

Solzhenitsyn
>>
Roth's Sabbath's Theatre is a very angry book.
>>
File: IMG_4560.jpg (10KB, 150x219px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4560.jpg
10KB, 150x219px
>>9715718
This and Journey to the End of Night came off as incredibly angry books in a bitter middle aged man sort of way
>>
>>9722648
Read both. Yeah, you're kind of right though. Cave definitely used to have that rage. Not so much anymore eh?
>>
>>9722652
Nah he's mellowed with age. Have you read And the Ass Saw the Angel? It's from his grimier Tender Prey days. Southern gothic.
>>
>>9722588
lol, I don't think he hides his anger.
>>
>>9722588
houellebecq reads like the opposite of angry to me. more like a thick layer of crippling depression.
>>
>>9720285
If anyone's into this: Watch Bronson.
>>
>>9724122
Bronson is shit though. You must be American.

Bronson, the prisoner, is only admired by people who don't understand the mindset.

He's just a lowlife thug, he's not intelligent enough to be full of the rage OP meant.
>>
>>9724122
Bronson was a girlscout compared to Panzram desu.
>>
File: 1498815041163.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1498815041163.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Steinbeck, McCarthy
>>
Hubert Selby Jr.
>>
>>9715893
This. Omensetter's Luck and The Tunnel are particular highlights of his rage.
>>
File: 1481429432687.jpg (6KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
1481429432687.jpg
6KB, 200x252px
And the Ass Saw the Angel is vitriol from start to finish. Euchrid is a character so full of hatred that he thinks his spit is venomous. It's my favourite book but I can see why people I show it to get bored or disgusted with it.
>>
>>9721489
you read it post-meme, what did you expect?
>>
>>9724214
I dig your post, but your picture is faggotry.

>one day I'll decide to be a "model", the next a punk rock front man pretending he's got anything to be angry about

Fuck off, the guitarist is the only talented one in the band
>>
>>9715718
Gonna have to go with De Sade on that one. even if I could think of half the spiteful shit he thinks up I would still have serious reservations about tabulating it
>>
Solzhenitzyn comes to mind a bit.

>>9715894
This or Céline are probably the right answers.
Whoever said Toni Morrison is also right; she's full of shit 90% of the time, but she's still angry.

>>9722630
Haven't read that one, but I've gotten through the American Trilogy and Goodbye Columbus and he doesn't strike me as a rage-fueled writer at all. He accepts human stupidity and knows how to laugh at it or shrug his shoulders at it when needs be.
>>
Thomas Ligotti, anyone?
>>
>>9724273
Ligotti is just sad. Now Schopenhauer on the other hand...
>>
>>9724214

This post is brilliantly adolescent: the Nick Cave mention; posting a "bad boy" picture alongside it unironically.. what a kek.
>>
>>9724288
The guy in the pic is lead singer from a Danish punk band who clearly idolises Cave
>>
>>9724259
>Whoever said Toni Morrison is also right; she's full of shit 90% of the time, but she's still angry.
Did you read the thread? Women can't be angry in the way OP described
>>
harlan ellison, hands down
>>
baudelaire, adorno (a very layered anger, particularly in minima moralia), fanon, lenin (almost all his works are angry polemics), pound
>>
>>9724555

This. Also add Norman Mailer to the cannon of angry old Jewish men.
>>
>>9722652
Cave certainly mellowed out, but with the recent death of his son I expect he's written something (other than his latest album) to be quite spiteful and raging
>>
Randt
>>
File: Engstligenalp_with_Gross_Lohner.jpg (190KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Engstligenalp_with_Gross_Lohner.jpg
190KB, 1024x768px
>>9715718
>Who is the angriest writer you can think of?

Shakespeare in Timon of Athens.

Here is the first long speech after Timon looses his mind for good (there are more after this one, starting in the first scene of the 4th act). He is contemplatin Athen's walls after leaving the city:

Timon. Let me look back upon thee. O thou wall, 1565
That girdlest in those wolves, dive in the earth,
And fence not Athens! Matrons, turn incontinent!
Obedience fail in children! slaves and fools,
Pluck the grave wrinkled senate from the bench,
And minister in their steads! to general filths 1570
Convert o' the instant, green virginity,
Do 't in your parents' eyes! bankrupts, hold fast;
Rather than render back, out with your knives,
And cut your trusters' throats! bound servants, steal!
Large-handed robbers your grave masters are, 1575
And pill by law. Maid, to thy master's bed;
Thy mistress is o' the brothel! Son of sixteen,
pluck the lined crutch from thy old limping sire,
With it beat out his brains! Piety, and fear,
Religion to the gods, peace, justice, truth, 1580
Domestic awe, night-rest, and neighbourhood,
Instruction, manners, mysteries, and trades,
Degrees, observances, customs, and laws,
Decline to your confounding contraries,
And let confusion live! Plagues, incident to men, 1585
Your potent and infectious fevers heap
On Athens, ripe for stroke! Thou cold sciatica,
Cripple our senators, that their limbs may halt
As lamely as their manners. Lust and liberty
Creep in the minds and marrows of our youth, 1590
That 'gainst the stream of virtue they may strive,
And drown themselves in riot! Itches, blains,
Sow all the Athenian bosoms; and their crop
Be general leprosy! Breath infect breath,
at their society, as their friendship, may 1595
merely poison! Nothing I'll bear from thee,
But nakedness, thou detestable town!
Take thou that too, with multiplying bans!
Timon will to the woods; where he shall find
The unkindest beast more kinder than mankind. 1600
The gods confound—hear me, you good gods all—
The Athenians both within and out that wall!
And grant, as Timon grows, his hate may grow
To the whole race of mankind, high and low! Amen.

Also: loved the painting in the OP. I searched, and it is picturing this village (in my pic)
>>
Michael Crichton
>>
>>9727067
Shakespeare is great, isn't he?
What a man

And yes it's a nice painting

Thanks for the suggestion anyway
>>
LITTERALLY ANY FEMALE AUTHOR
>>
>>9715718
lifelong anger. ironically look no further than the guy who constantly preached against ressentiment, NEETchee.
>>
The Elementary Particles by Michel Houellebecq (how has this not been mentioned yet?)

An American Dream by Norman Mailer
>>
Artaud and Lautreamont imo
>>
>>9715823
>most lauded translations in English come from the same translator, Ralph Manheim
>Louis Ferdinand Celine
>most lauded translations
What did he mean by this? When his aren't the first and only translations to come after the 50 years older, prude, early versions, they're literally the only existing translations.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.