[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What book makes the best case for atheism, and what book makes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: PIT3AmO.jpg (11KB, 495x486px) Image search: [Google]
PIT3AmO.jpg
11KB, 495x486px
What book makes the best case for atheism, and what book makes the best case for faith? I'm currently reading The Brothers Karamazov and I'm enjoying this theme.
>>
>>9715717
>What book makes the best case for atheism
The Bible.
>what book makes the best case for faith
The Bible.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 194x259px
>>9716183
So true it hurts
>>
File: IMG_0673.jpg (676KB, 2401x1766px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0673.jpg
676KB, 2401x1766px
>>9715717
my diary desu
>>
There are no good atheist books in fiction, I'm not trying to be like some stupid protestants that vilify every herectic ting, but that's simply the thruth, no "atheist" books is worth reading.

But if you want to read actual good philosophical arguments against theism, then I would recommend reading Graham Oppy's books, he's much better than pop shit like Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens.
>>
I don't understand atheism. Do they believe it is IMPOSSIBLE that a higher power created the universe? Or do they simply profess to not know? If that's the case, wouldn't they be agnostic?
>>
>>9716400
In theism, God is generally regarded as the prime motor, the first being to have existed and the one who begun the universe. In atheism, they believe the explanation for the universe and the prime motor must be purely scientifical.
>>
>>9716413

But if a god did exist, wouldn't that still be scientific?
>>
>>9716428
The prime motor must have always existed, so he must be God, but that might not be the kind of God described by most religions, instead it might be the one that only science could correctly explain.
>>
the book of Genesis and the book of Revelation have absolutely every answer to proving/questioning if Atheism is incorrect. Answers evolution and monkey shit as well. It's pretty crazy realizing this once thoroughly studying the Bible.
>>
File: 1490140467250.png (247KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
1490140467250.png
247KB, 500x411px
>yet another false dichotomy thread
>>
>>9715717
>The God Delusion
>The God Delusion/The Bible
>>
>>9716428
"Science" as understood by atheists (and most others) supposes naturalism, and God is generally described as existing outside of the natural physical realm, so no.
>>
>>9716462
>Anime image
>Argument disregarded, throw into the trash
>>
>>9716475
you don't belong here. go away.
>>
>>9716481
No, neofag, /lit/ has always been anti-anime and one of the few boards only frequented by patricians. Sometimes some plebs get lost in here and end up embarassing themselves, like you right now. Leave.
>>
>>9716507
you don't even know how to greentext...
>>
>>9716400

Atheism vs Theism = whether there is a belief in god
Gnostic vs Agnostic = whether you know or don't know
Atheism and being agnostic are not mutually exclusive.

Some athiests are gnostic, claiming they know for a fact that God doesn't exist, but most fall under agnostic atheism, who acknowledge they don't know if a god exists and take the position that if they don't know something exists they won't assume it does.
>>
>>9715717
Herman Philipse - God in the Age of Science?
>>
File: Zizek1.jpg (5KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
Zizek1.jpg
5KB, 284x177px
>>9715717
The child pretends to believe in Santa Claus for the parents and to obtain presents. The parents pretend to believe for the sake of the child. Believe or not, belief still functions in society.
>>
File: 6536.png (106KB, 300x342px) Image search: [Google]
6536.png
106KB, 300x342px
>>9716507
>/lit/ has always been anti-anime
>>
>>9716442
Please do elaborate
>>
File: 1277855564100.jpg (111KB, 429x612px) Image search: [Google]
1277855564100.jpg
111KB, 429x612px
>>9715717

Belief and faith has many non-religious, non-deity purposes. Don't be Dawkins pls
>>
>>9717934
this is just a meme. someone did a graph on the internet along this lines [Atheism-Theism|Gnostic-Agnostic] and for some reason it went viral. nobody thinks along this lines in real life and it's not helpful. no one ever seriously wrote about this debate along those lines.

just to put an example Doubt is a core catholic theme since forever, even for some hardcore catholics, no one would call those people "theist agnostics" so the concept is retarded as it offers nothing and clarifies nothing about their position

this is just some STEM kid that thought he had mapped the whole philosophical landscape while just making things more confusing and removed from the core discussion
>>
>>9716183
Got my noggin joggin, but in all seriousness this is pretty true.
>>
>>9716442
Nigger no
You probably couldn't even correctly define evolution and the basic mechanisms behind it.
You're probably a Protestant as well, the most willingly ignorant branch of the entire faith tree.
>>
>>9716507
Good bait
>>
>>9718683
Is absolute recoil any good or nah, I picked it up recently without thinking
>>
>>9719085
I view Zizek's books as a reference for study not on a basis of good or bad. However, I will say that you should read Sublime Object of Ideology before any of his other theoretical books. His interview compilations etc. are open for introduction to his mainstream thought.
>>
>>9715717
Instead of atheistic literature, how about books with strong antireligious themes?
>>
>>9720417
I wouldnt call anything antireligeous literature. Youre just going to end up reading 300 pages of the equivalent of r/atheism posts.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.