[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some nonfiction books that will make me do things better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

What are some nonfiction books that will make me do things better in real life or think about things in a more effective and creative way? I've been reading Pragmatism by William James and so far it is interesting but I don't know if it will lead me to be any more effective.
>>
>>9714547
>that will make me do things better in real life
>or think about things in a more effective
The first one is hard to do and the second is subjective
Usually these kind of things are covered in self-help books but without any evidence at all that they work

I think Antifragile had some interesting ideas and at least tries to have some basis somewhere

I think learning about psychology can sometimes be helpful, though it can work out badly as well, but I am unsure if that interests you
>>
>>9714547
A lot of good choices over in the autodidact general thread: >>9714228. If you're into William James, then you should check out the complete works of Charles Sanders Peirce. The thing is, reading can only give you the basics to start doing something, provide tips to enhance what you already are doing, or give you the inspiration to come up with your own system. It's up to you to keep a journal, apply yourself in the real world, and record your progress to stay focused.
>>
>>9714568
Antifragile is currently my favorite book. I consider myself somewhat of a lit pleb so I'm happy to see it recommended here.
>>
>>9714591
>keep a journal
So it really is useful and important?
Never was sure if it was a meme or something that would actually help. I have read up on how to journal but there is a lot of conflicting info out there. Always end up recording either too much or too little. Some things only seem important in retrospect so the next time I try again I overcompensate and keep all kinds of arbitrary info that I don't need.
What is the best way to journal in your opinion?
>>
>>9714678
It's a second brain if you keep a regular, well-organized journal. There's no such thing as recording too much, except maybe for one particular function of journaling or another (but not as a whole unless you run out of time), but there's definitely such a thing as recording too little. Just stop trying so hard to do everything at once and start trying to write your journal so you understand what you're doing, how it went, and how you can do better. The worst thing that happens is that you'll be able to remember and integrate what you've been doing for the past few weeks/months/years instead of it all blending into a foggy picture of "the past".
>>
>>9714547

The question of this is a deep goal of mine. Is it possible to pick up a book and by reading it, feeling compelled to get up and do better? Hell, if that isn't, is it possible to at least gain as much from a number of books (begging the further question, is there a right combination and order of books you can read that will change the average person's life?)

I feel like combinations of religious texts, some practical philosophy (think Seneca over Derrida), and psychology texts could gain the most bang for buck.

Then again, one of the few times I actually just dropped the book to get up and experience life (I was so excited by what I was reading) was Middlemarch, so maybe with fiction?
>>
>>9714614
I see a lot of people saying Steve Bannon and crew really enjoy that book.
>>
Reading Fukuyama right now and his insights are interesting at least.
>>
My diary to be honest.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.