[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got this book for a quarter. Never read any Isaac before.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 9780553900347_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg (18KB, 260x391px) Image search: [Google]
9780553900347_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg
18KB, 260x391px
Got this book for a quarter.
Never read any Isaac before. Is this any good?
>>
>>9714280
I got the same edition in my backlog. I'm curious as well.
>>
I read the entire trilogy. this is one of my favorite books. the pace is a bit slow but the story reads like an epic space fantasy. you watch empires rise and fall and the mystery has a way of gnawing at your brain, begging to be solved. excellent read, get the rest of the series
>>
>>9714653
Alright.
So am I good to just read this as a starting point, or is there a prequel I should read before? I'd rather just read this and start from there.
>>
>>9714280
One of the most creative authors of all time, but the writing itself is pretty bad at times, honestly.
>>
>>9714819
You should follow the publication order.
>>
I think the ideas are awesome but it's badly written. This was written back in the time that sci-fi was released in those pulp magazines in short episodes
>>
>>9714280
Yes
>>
His prose sucks but that's secondary. Think of it as the articulation of a concept and a series of arguments that demonstrate its consequences and it's great. If you're reading for pure literary merit, the trilogy doesn't hold up. I don't know if Foundation's Edge and Foundation & Earth stand up better, they were written decades later and initially published as novels rather than as short stories. The trilogy is usually published as three novels.
>>
>>9714280
Asimov's work is okay, as long as you don't want depth of character or action scenes. The foundation series has, from memory, two huge space battles that take place entirely off-stage. we see characters hearing about them on the news.
>>
>>9716962
I forgot to say, I haven't read the prequels but have Prelude to Foundation in my backlog.
>>
>>9714567
>>9714280
It's okay and a fun read
>>
>>9714280
OP here again.
I also got Ringworld and Shadow Planet by William Shatner.

I don't really read much unfortunately, so I bought these three to get back into it. I'm just confused as to what to start with.

Apparently Shadow Planet is some fifth novel in a series, so I'll save that for last.

Would you say that for someone getting back into reading, Foundation would be better than Ringworld? From what I know, these are both slow books, but I'm OK with that. I'm fine with slow moving Sci Fi as long as the concepts are interesting and the characters are interesting, even if they are boring as well. I kinda like dry and slow Sci Fi like that.
>>
>>9714280
>Is this any good?
Categorically no.
>>
>>9718943
>Would you say that for someone getting back into reading, Foundation would be better than Ringworld?
yes, certainly
>>
>>9714280
I'm a fan of Asimov, and I still have somehow not read Foundation,
Highly recommend The Gods Themselves though
>>
File: 1498637577223.jpg (17KB, 259x293px) Image search: [Google]
1498637577223.jpg
17KB, 259x293px
>>9719047
>mfw 7ABC
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.