[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /lit/. Somewhat of a newfag to literature here. Can you recommend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: vonnegut.jpg (53KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
vonnegut.jpg
53KB, 600x400px
Hi /lit/. Somewhat of a newfag to literature here. Can you recommend to me a more intellectually challenging version of Kurt Vonnegut? I like his writing style, but I'd like something with a little more depth.
>>
>>9712786
My diary desu
>>
pynchon gass barth
>>
File: alex jones react.gif (962KB, 171x172px) Image search: [Google]
alex jones react.gif
962KB, 171x172px
>>9712786
Little more DEPTH?! H-H-HOW DARE YOU! SHAME ON YOU!
>>
you might like Tom Robbins, he's somewhat along the same lines with the surrealism interwoven with disparate bits of philosophy. He's more verbose, maybe not more challenging but worth a shot
>>
>>9712786
J G Ballard
>>
>>9712786
Calvino.
>>
>>9712787
Came here to post this. Show us your diary?
>>
File: Core Reading.jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
Core Reading.jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
>>9712786
It depends on what aspect of Vonnegut you like. Probably the best answer is Thomas Pynchon, who maintains a lot of the conversational feel and absurd aspects of Vonnegut while taking the meaning of his texts far deeper (not to say that Vonnegut is worse, he's my favorite author, he just writes shallower books). Try The Crying of Lot 49; if you enjoy it then Pynchon is up your alley.

I will add that if you enjoyed Vonnegut and made this thread because you want to be challenged, you shouldn't necessarily stay with the same style. Branching out is always a good call, and if you haven't I'd check out the 'Starter Kit' books. The greatest joy that I get from reading is discovering new ways to write an excellent story, so they're all great works to expand into.
>>
>>9712786
Vonnegut is great at what he does, but I can understand why you would want something with more depth. Every book serves its unique purpose.

That being said, Catch-22 by Heller is slightly more complex, and works like Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon and the Recognitions by Gaddis are extremely dense and complex. This should give you a good idea of where to go. I suggest reading them in that order.
>>
>>9712866
Thanks. Love me some Gass!
>>
>>9716729
Then I recommend Joyce.
>>
>>9716734
Well meme'd sir!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.