[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the last book you gave up without finishing? Picrelated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: md1189510437.jpg (27KB, 300x455px) Image search: [Google]
md1189510437.jpg
27KB, 300x455px
What was the last book you gave up without finishing? Picrelated for me. It would not end
>>
File: A-Little-Life-US.jpg (45KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
A-Little-Life-US.jpg
45KB, 328x500px
This bucket of swill. Less than 50 pages in it becomes misunderstood sad sodomite nonsense.
>>
>>9712458
It gets even worse.
>>
>>9712338
Wind up bird Chronicle. I couldn't make myself care
>>
>>9712338
I got that swill from the library confusing him for jonathan Lethem, I was pissed. The ending is bad and senseless, you did the right thing.
>>
File: IMG_0176.jpg (46KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0176.jpg
46KB, 329x500px
>>9712338
i thought it would be fun to read something obviously bad.

it wasn't.
>>
File: recognitions.jpg (30KB, 231x346px) Image search: [Google]
recognitions.jpg
30KB, 231x346px
The Recognitions by William Gaddis

I enjoyed what I read but that book takes a real commitment, it's like sifting through legal language, I'll probably read it some time in the future but right now I'm going to read some other books
>>
>>9712338
My diary desu
>>
>>9713637
how far did you get? For me about a hundred or a hundred-fifty pages in i got a little more used to gaddis and the way he would fly off into his religous/cultural tangents. It's also worth mentioning i read JR before Recog, which i would say is a slightly harder book but in a completely different direction too. Give it patience, read the notes on the online wiki, and trust that gaddis, rightfully so, is regarded as one of the best writers america's ever seen
>>
>>9713637

Bear in mind that if someone has something important burning inside of them, something that needs to be said, they'll never risk having it obscured behind difficult language.

Him and writers like him just want respect from the establishment. They have nothing to say.
>>
>>9713712

>reading difficult work is too much of a chore for me so I've found a way to ignore all that "difficult language" that I struggle with whilst still keeping my delicate ego intact over the situation

Nicely played, pseud. I'm hesitant to even ask about your stance toward philosophy; more of the same overcompensating idiocy, I'd imagine.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 640x395px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 640x395px
>>9714009
Obvious is obvious. That's why it stings. You're afraid I'm right.
>>
>>9714020

>You're afraid I'm right.

If anything that nonsense sophomoric line that you chose to respond with and the total dodge of the philosophy question is confirming that I am.

You like to bullshit more than you care to develop as a reader.
>>
>>9712338
Dune Messiah, iirc
God, did that book suck
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 546x896px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 546x896px
>>9714034
I didn't have to elaborate on philosophy, you already stated what it is.

Develop as a reader..?.? As a signal receiver? I'm a sender, a giver, not a slave, not rolling my eyeballs across miles of text.

Rhetoric not philosophy. Cicero not Plato. Once you start getting laid, the steam will stop shooting up and spinning your fedora.
>>
>>9714060

So much finely-crafted bullshit image in one post. Impressive. There really is dense layers of narcissism on display here: it's more curio than post.

You're a professional bullshit artist. A literal sophist trying to ply his wares -- I'm not buying, mate.
>>
>>9714060
>>9714020
Please stop being such a faggot
>>
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs was complete shit. After the third or fourth detailed acount of child and goblin ass fucking I gave up. William S Burroughs was a pathetic little shit and a heroin addicted pretentious faggot that had a busy mind focused on rationalizing his addiction and sucking dick. If you like that book you are a fucking faggot too. I was excited to read it since Anthony Bourdain swore it was life changing and I have never been so let down by a book or anything else in life for that matter. Fuck Anthony Bourdain too.
>>
Almost same, OP. It was Purity by the same author for me.
>>
Franzen is a stool. He writes the Establishment memes he knows he'll be petted for. He'll be easily replaced by an artificial intelligence.
>>
>>9713698
don't read the notes your first time through. trust yourself doofus.
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 750x539px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 750x539px
>>9714079
Projection, much?

You can bring a horse to water...
>>
>>9714009
Nice superiority complex senpai
>>
File: Frankenstein.jpg (31KB, 305x500px) Image search: [Google]
Frankenstein.jpg
31KB, 305x500px
I know I'll get roasted for this but I just couldn't finish it. I read maybe 2/3rds then skipped to the ending. It was just so flowery and verbose, page after page of describing mountains. It was a great plot but ruined for me by the writing style.
>>
>>9712338
Made it halfway through The Silmarillion

2esoteric4me
>>
Kierkegaard.
>Dude, you're either A but not B or B but not A, but either way you're totally in despair, trust me bro

Ghastly nonsense.
>>
/lit/ disappointed me again by recommending this. It's a bunch of short essays on literary devices every experienced reader should be familiar with already. Lodge is a smart reader, but nothing really insightful or original is said through the first half so I decided not to spend more time on it.
>>
>>9714134
anthony is a kike fag who unironically wants to kill all whites what did you expect
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.