[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I came up with a little philosophical thought experiment. I hope

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I came up with a little philosophical thought experiment. I hope you enjoy it.

I personally came to a wonderful conclusion after asking myself these questions.
1. Imagine the most neutral event/thing/possibility you can.

2. Save it to memory.

3. Now reflect on it. Would you describe this neutral imagination rather as positive or negative (if you had to choose)?

Now, ask yourself the question;
If truth is without any judgment and thus completely neutral, why do I/we aspire to find it?
>>
I'm confused. I imagined myself starting at an apple and an orange on a table. I still see it as mainly neutral.
>>
>>9712298
But you have to choose. rather positive or negative?
>>
truth yields power, power is positive
>>
>>9712300
I can't choose because there is nothing to indicate that it is positive or negative, because the parameters of the experiment dictate its neutrality.
>>
>>9712300
you don't have to chose, if the image doesn't evoke intuitions then the thought experiment fails, because that's what thought experiments are for.
>>
>>9712292
Truth may be neutral but knowing it can be useful for non-neutral purposes.

For example, I want to know the truth about nutrition so that I can optimise my diet to feel good.
>>
>>9712322
OP here. Thanks anon, exactly.
I wouldn't say it fails though.
It's interesting to me that it doesn't evoke intuitions with some people.

For me the neutral image was obviously more positive.

Which is why I came to the personal conclusion that we aspire to find truth because it seems to be good.

Not neutral and objective.

This gives me hope for the deeper truths of the universe and existence. That they might be good.
>>
>>9712330
Yep, good point. I was kinda going for the abstract philosophical concept of truth, but that works as well.
>>
>>9712344
part of the point of thought experiments is that they can produce a predicable response without too many complications, a lecturer should be able to go through a thought experiment with a crowd full of people and not lose half his audience mid lecture.

isn't it obvious that truth is good
impartiality and objectivity are used to reach the truth so in a way you need to be in a "cold" mode of thinking, but liking truth and the satisfaction it brings you is a "hot"mode of thinking
>>
>>9712292
If something is neutral and I'm forced to evaluate it as either positive or negative I'd obviously rather evaluate it as positive, because positivity is by its very definition and nature better than negativity.
>>
Thought of sitting on a bench, midday overcast, with a pigeon flying past somewhere high up and off in the distance.
>Now reflect on it. Would you describe this neutral imagination rather as positive or negative (if you had to choose)?
Neither positive or negative, you said neutral.
>If truth is without any judgment and thus completely neutral, why do I/we aspire to find it?
Because truth is pure, neither positive or negative, it just is.
What's the point again? I guess you could make the argument that something that is neutral will always be, ultimately, positive, simply because it isn't negative. I don't remember where it was Schopenhauer wrote about it, but he basically went
>think about how often in life you have been in a good position and it seemed almost a struggle to bring the bad times to memory
>then think about the times where you were in a bad position and how easy the memories of good times came to you

>>9712344
Sounds more like your perception of what feels neutral to you is off. I don't know how many times I've been in ordinary life situation where it was neither positive or negative, it just was.
>>
>>9712373
>isn't it obvious that truth is good

Well I don't think so. Because many truths are very harsh.
Wars, slaughterhouses, friends and family dying. Serial killers. Many philosophers become quite depressed as they felt they saw the world for what it truly is.

But for some reason most of humanity tries to stay as close to the truth as they can, it is like a human virtue.
>>
>>9712427
>Sounds more like your perception of what feels neutral to you is off.

You might be right.

I tried to imagine the most positive way of existence, and I basically imagined the same as when I tried to imagine the most neutral way of existence.

I think it meant being able to simply exist without any desires. Just pure being.
>>
I had a thought that every woman in the world was sterilized. at first I was neutral, but then I realized it would be better for all of us
>>
>>9712470
>I tried to imagine the most positive way of existence, and I basically imagined the same as when I tried to imagine the most neutral way of existence
Definitely sounds off.

>>9712481
Just like that movie, don't remember the name, the one where the African whore in London becomes pregnant.
>>
>>9712330
>I want to know the truth about nutrition so that I can optimise my diet to feel good.
kys, filthy hedonist
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.