[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /lit/'s opinion on Toni Morrison? Particulary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 2786-004-BF936566.jpg (31KB, 336x275px) Image search: [Google]
2786-004-BF936566.jpg
31KB, 336x275px
What's /lit/'s opinion on Toni Morrison? Particulary The Song of Solomon. It's on my college reading list, but I'm not sure whether I'll read it, because I've been already recommended by college some autistic books in the previous years for some reason. The writer looks pretty hedonistically obese.
>>
>>9712003
Also, she would be the first black author I've read
>>
>>9712003
I read it in high school and was unimpressed. It's typical brown resentment lit and follows all the cliches of writing done by the grievance class. The magical realism is obviously a crutch and becomes incredibly irritating by the story's conclusion. The thought motivating the nonsensical narrative is very shallow and sophomoric and the characters are uninteresting. I advise everyone to avoid this book as it is a waste of time
>>
>>9712009
would you like an award?
>>
>>9712026
>ha! I'll show this fool what for with my razor sharp wit
>>
>>9712009

That's surprising. You never read any poetry or short stories by black writers in any of your college classes until now?

Well, I wouldn't take that into any account as far as you enjoying her work. I actually haven't read anything by her myself, but give it a try, if you don't like her work, than you don't like it. I don't really think anyone else can tell you what you will an wont like, especially without knowing you better.
>>
definition of affirmative action writer. only popular because college profs feel like they need a black author to put on their syllabi
>>
>>9712041

But there are many more to use besides her. I've literally never heard of her, or read any of her works, and I've taken a bunch of literature classes so that I could get credits for reading.
>>
Probably the best recent American author desu
>>
File: tshirt2.png (157KB, 558x590px) Image search: [Google]
tshirt2.png
157KB, 558x590px
>>
File: download.jpg (151KB, 661x800px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
151KB, 661x800px
>>9712003
William Gass wrote like a 4 page introduction for Morrison. Pic related.
He also mention her in an interview, saying her works were like an opera, less than a novel, and should be approached a different way.
If you've seen or read any of her interviews, she's very intelligent but oddly obsessive. Like really obsessive about things. Especially sentence structure, holy shit. The only place you'll see any vague and dismissive negative criticism of her is on /lit/ for obvious reasons. Mostly everywhere else she's mentioned among the rest of the older pomo generation of writers, most frequently Pynchon because of their stylistic similarities.
I personally don't like her maternal tone she writes with, but she is very obviously a very good writer.
>>
>>9712031
Cringe
>>
I could be wrong, but I think she's the first black writer to get published. Even if it's not the greatest work, it's definitely an important feat to Blacks integrating into society after slavery, and Jim Crow
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.