[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you using your storytelling skills in a superior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 2017-07-02-214309_1440x900_scrot.png (100KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-02-214309_1440x900_scrot.png
100KB, 1440x900px
Why aren't you using your storytelling skills in a superior artistic medium like videogames rather than wasting your time with a dead medium you won't be able to compete in any case?
>>
>>9709273
Because I'm not going to learn how to write using autistic language
>>
>>9709279
there's plenty of tools for retards my friend.
>>
>>9709273
What is that babby IDE? Use vi
>>
>>9709273
>>9708934
stop making new threads when there are ones dealing with the same theme.
>>
>>9709273
Last time I tried writing for a video game I was kicked out for being "an ideas man" and nothing more. Even though the game was a generic cut and paste asset recycler on the Unreal Engine
>>
>>9709300
make a text adventure in game maker.
>>
>>9709306
I'd rather make a CYOA thread in /qst/. At least then I would keep my self respect.
>>
File: 88cc3edca6c828d4cb8004511a2fd2a1.jpg (343KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
88cc3edca6c828d4cb8004511a2fd2a1.jpg
343KB, 1152x864px
I'm currently making a mod for Skyrim that takes place in its own universe, so not lore friendly. It's basically it's own game using the creation engine. You play as a state inquisitor in a city modeled after late Italian Renaissance cities. The gameplay and story centers around information, how it is created, distributed, and it's effects on society. This is seen through the gameplay as the majority of the time you'll be investigating, sneaking, and making risky choices in dialogue as you'll need to be aware of everything you hear and read to avoid saying something wrong and failing the quest. There is no map or map markers, you'll have to make do with the info you pick up as you explore the city that's about six times the size of Whiterun.
Each quest has multiple approaches and outcomes depending on your story choices and class that restricts progression in only two perk trees. If you chose the class for burglar for example, you'll have to rely on sneaking and lockpicking while a lawyer must depend on his speech skill and investigative eye. Most building have no load times and are seamless with the environment, you can run upstairs in a house, fine a latch to the roof and jump from rooftop to rooftop into you hop onto the balcony of your house. Or maybe you're being chased in the streets for a crime and you'll need to run through some buildings to lose your pursuers. I've been making this for almost 2 years now, I'm hoping to finish it by the end of the year
>>
>>9709273
Videogames are an exciting medium to explore narratologically, but there is little to say for videogames beyond the possibilities of these two strengths of the medium (as far as storytelling is concerned -- aspects like visual art and gameplay are still incredibly fertile grounds for experimentation) that endears it creatively over other mediums in which writers would be involved, such as film or the stage or, of course, literature. Even still, the strengths of the genre as far as writing is concerned have been fully explored as far as I can see (without some serious theoretical work being done, which I don't see happening for another 20 years).
Occasionally, a game will come out that does something fascinating with its narrative. Antichamber is an example of this, but even then, the writing was almost entirely accomplished via gameplay, rather than words-on-page. Other times, you'll see an author make a critical or metacritical statement (as in Spec Ops: the Line, The Beginner's Guide, or Papers Please) that moves beyond the experience of the game itself, from entertainment and escapism to something that could be called a serious artistic statement -- real "literature" if such a term could be applied outside of purely written works.
But the reason why I still prefer to write books instead of writing scripts for videogames or screenplays is that literature gives the writer a great deal more tools to tell their story, and a great deal more freedom to tell their story. Now, this necessarily means a less free experience for the reader, but who cares? In a book, while the reader has the option to skip ahead or reread, they have a great deal less freedom. Less freedom for the reader equals more freedom for the writer, which means a better story. A videogame developer couldn't decide to dedicate a few hours of gameplay to his main character jerkin' it to jailbait on the beach. And he couldn't make a game about how these white people came in and ruined the whole fuckin' village also yams. And he couldn't open up a game about art forgeries with the main character hanging out in a Spanish monastery. There are stories that need to be told on paper. But there aren't many stories that require the reader to hold a mouse and keyboard. There's a few of them, but they aren't stories I want to write.
More people are reading than ever before. Books are far from a dying medium. I live in a fairly working class city. Most people here aren't "artsy". There's like a few hundred people in the arts community, and if I don't know a local artist, writer, actor, poet, sculptor, critic etc. by their first name, I know somebody who does. This is a city of almost 1,000,000 people. Yet, whenever I take the train, I'll see at least 50% of people reading. Usually retardary like Danielle Steel or John Grisham, but they're reading nonetheless. The audience for literary works has increased several-fold since the modernists. Literature will be fine.
>>
>>9709498
excellent post.
>>
>>9709498
men, I don't disagree.

but I think games are like movies in the early decades of film, still struggling to find their own peculiar way to tell a story.

as for me, games have the bigger potential for storytelling at least in terms of ambience, character design, character development, all combined and expressed in the gameplay.

Every year some new games comes that are like a new revolution in the entire medium.

I would say more people having more income, even in thirld world countries, means there will be more consumers and demand for art, of any kind.

There's not a better time to be an artist than today.
>>
File: Kindred-Spirits-Shot-01.jpg (100KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kindred-Spirits-Shot-01.jpg
100KB, 800x600px
>>9709273
>not using RPG Maker to make an adaption of your favorite fanfiction
>>
>>9709498
>Even still, the strengths of the genre as far as writing is concerned have been fully explored as far as I can see
Not even close. Most of them just imitate shitty film industry standards because that's all large companies have to refer to and believe what makes a good narrative.

Thing about video games is you can do so much, they can be narrativeless if you desire. At the moment we have exact copies of film with bits of shit game-play interspersed. As a medium for a story, it holds so much potential if developers would simply stop copying other mediums and allow for some subtlety. Thief is a good example of an inkling into what the medium could be, story-wise, yet it doesn't even have the narrative as a focus, mainly the mechanics are the main point.

This video touches on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.