[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are good books on conservatism or conservative philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 969[1].jpg (189KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
969[1].jpg
189KB, 1024x685px
What are good books on conservatism or conservative philosophy that don't argue specifically from a religious standpoint? I so far have only read the Analects of Confucius and Letters to a Young Conservative by D'Souza, however I would like to have more material to better get to know conservative thought.
>>
>D'Souza
If you aren't shitposting, commit d'suicide
>>
>>9703226
>conservatism
Wtf. Conservatism is the easiest "idealogy" in the world. Take for example a prude country that has politicians arguing whether they should legalise sex before marriage or not. The ones who say "legalise" are progressives, and the ones who say "don't legalise" are conservatives. It's just the matter of "don't change". "Cobservative values just means that you want to hang on to something. Anything else that's tied to "conservatism" should be cut.
>>
>>9703230
He was one of the only ones I have heard of, if you have better suggestions I'll gladly take them.

>>9703264
That is technically correct, however I am looking for books that go further than just the basic definition and I want some books which present some of the arguments for tradition and social conservatism and other positions that are associated with conservative politics.
>>
>>9703330
Anything further is just mental gymnastics. Honestly, it's no better than those atheists who use days on end watching atheist youtube videos about Gods "nonexistence". If you feel that way about values in an ideology you like, then of course you don't want them to progress in to "apathy and tolerance". It might be good for you in particular if you support having people you don't like be in power, but I'm more of a single party guy lol.
>>
The thing is that conservatives find the community sorrounding them rooted in a particular religious system. Since they care for tradition first of all, and/or some manner of transcendence or natural law, it's not surprising they would be interested in it.

Would a John Adams that
>strove for a religion based on a common sense sort of reasonableness and maintained that religion must change and evolve toward perfection
be too much religious to be worthy of being read?

And would a belief in Deism without revealed Scripture or liturgy be irreligious enough?

Whichever the answers, do read The Conservative Mind by Kirk, and see for yourself if you can tell who among the authors featured in the anthology went to church each Sunday and who didn't, without looking up their biographies.
>>
Clean your room.
Sort yourself oot.
That guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyw4rTywyY0
>>
>>9703264
In the event that sex before marriage is legalised, would the conservatives try to repeal the law, or would they defend it on the grounds that it's already a thing, and repealing it would mean changing it? Your definition suggests the latter.

Also how would they argue for anything? 'Whatever is is good and should not change' is not a compelling argument.
>>
leviathan
>>
File: HanFei.jpg (78KB, 396x350px) Image search: [Google]
HanFei.jpg
78KB, 396x350px
You want to read Han Fei OP.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~freeman/courses/phil301/13.%20Han%20Feizi.pdf
>>
>>9703380
Well conservatives always want to conserve their own ideology. Nazis would want to change many things. And if they did change all these things, they would turn conservative, and conserve all their views. The original conservatives were the guys in France who were on the king's side, and did not want to turn France conservative.

On the thing about consrvatives can't revert things because then they aren't conservatives, I agree with you. A nazi in a former nazi country that has lost all nazi virtues is no longer a conservative. He has nothing to conserve. This is why a conservative today is like a progressive 20 years ago. Conservatism is fluid, and is merely an extension to an ideology.
>>
>>9703380
Conservatism is more of a 'controlling' and 'slowing change' kind of thing.

Reactionary politics is the one that wants to undo the change after the fact, even to restore things that you can found only in the history books.
>>
bump because of Han Fei scholar's based presence among us!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.