[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've recently started reading a couple of 'popular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 2plus2.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2plus2.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
I've recently started reading a couple of 'popular math' books, including Simon Singh's "Fermat's Last Theorem" and "The Code Book", as well as John Tabak's "Numbers".

I'm searching for something in the same area, preferably a bit more heavy on the math philosophy and perhaps the infinite.

I'm open to most things, though; throw some recommendations at me, if you have read anything good.
>>
>>9703190
Frege and Leibniz.
>>
>math philosophy and perhaps the infinite.
Incidentally, DFW wrote a book about the "discovery" of the Infinite. It's called "Everything and More". Maybe it's good. I started reading it once – it read like a typical DFW text at least.
>>
>>9703190

A Brief History of Infinity by Brian Clegg is a nice accessible book on infinity.

Also, don't read DFW's book on infinity unless you're already a huge DFW fan. Otherwise you'll probably be frustrated by his style. Also, there are a ton of mistakes (I've learned from his biography that math was never his strong suit in college).
>>
>>9703198
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to understand their texts.

>>9703204
>>9703205
Thanks, I'll check out both!
Also, never heard of DFW, nor read anything by him.
>>
>>9703212
>I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to understand their texts
Then do the prerequisite work to understand them. It's not hard.
>>
>>9703220
>It's not hard.
It might not be hard for you, but it might be for me.
>>
>>9703212
>I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to understand their texts.
Start reading with this link. You will easily understand Frege and Leibniz afterwards.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/bolzano-logic/
>>
>>9703232
It won't be hard. You just gotta have the right attitude. You seem genuinely curious about mathematics.
>>
>>9703190
Isn't it more fun to solve math problems instead?
>>
>>9703190
you should just read some textbooks tbqh to get a solid foundation in mathematics, else you won't understand the point of math philosophy. http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations
>>
>>9703397
wrong link http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics
>>
recommendations on
>books on math + philosophy + theology?
>books similar to euclid's elements, that is a classic, beautiful book
>books on math in relation to nature, with topics such as pi, theta or the golden ratio
>books with a bit of math + mysticism/numerology, but nothing too retarded/exotic
>basically books like the movie Pi (1998)
>>
>>9703394
this desu. math problems are an awesome way to balance out reading. nothing is more satisfying for my autistic self than sitting down and doing some math problems for a couple of hours.
>>
OP here.
>>9703397
I might have given off the wrong vibe; it's not as if I'm horrid at math, I'm just a regular C student, but I have attended courses in Calculus, Linear Algebra and Discrete Maths at University, in relation to my studies.
>>
>>9703190

Infinite Quantity, Derbyshire.

/thread
>>
>>9703190
Gödell Escher Bach is a classic you may want to read
>>
>>9705062
you are so confident, yet you mispelled the name of the book.

Unknown Quantity*
>>
File: 1478657427879.gif (2MB, 179x320px) Image search: [Google]
1478657427879.gif
2MB, 179x320px
>/lit/ brainlets attempt math

Oh boy oh boy
>>
>>9706362

yes, that's the one. :^D

t. was drunk last night.

it actually does strike a good balance between popsci, history and substance, however, which is why it's such a good recommendation to the OP. As an added bonus, it's written by an alt-right personality who was dismissed from a cuckservative magazine for writing up a completely sensible piece of advice to his child: all things being equal, you should avoid being surrounded by large crowds of black people.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.