[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you imagine your soul? I always imagine it as a glowing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

File: banana python.jpg (62KB, 736x773px) Image search: [Google]
banana python.jpg
62KB, 736x773px
How do you imagine your soul?

I always imagine it as a glowing balloon attached to the top or back of my head via a "string" - I should add that I think of the soul and the consciousness are the same thing, even though I know they're two different concepts. For me, personally, the two just completely overlapped at some point and I can't untangle them.

A very christian friend of mine imagined it as a "glowing baguette" in the left side of the chest.

My grandmother said she doesn't visualize it at all and the whole concept of visualizing a soul is strange to her (which is strange since she's very into religion and philosophers).

Has anyone ever tried to "describe" a soul, or has it always been just a nebulous thing?
>>
>>9702519
filthy dualists gtfo
>>
>>9702519
i just imagine a glowing light, like the sun but not blinding
>>
>>9702536
In your chest?
>>
I think of it as shimmering white sphere, lesser in size than my palm, in the middle of my chest
>>
I dint think it exists.
>>
It is that which is aware, so it is impossible to pinpoint in the normal way that things are possible to pinpoint.

Nevertheless you CAN pinpoint in some sense, by a kind of virtual awareness, balancing your awareness of an object/sensation with awareness of awareness. Its like a figure/ground relationship, pay close attention to the figure to see the ground.
>>
>>9702519
The soul body dichotomy is more of a compound nature i.e. sodium chloride than a mixture nature though. But if I had to imagine what my soul to be like then one of those cartoon ghost things I suppose.
>>
I always imagine the soul is literally the electric power that runs throught your neurons. For me the brain is like a temporary vessel that holds this power to the material world.
>>
>>9702549
what are you talking about?
>>
>>9702562
Meditation nigger, youre never going to get anywhere just by looking at words
>>
>>9702569
Maybe before you start giving advice on meditation you practice actually opening your post so you don't sound like a gibbering lunatic. I still don't know how you got on the topic of meditation. Are you sure you're in the right thread?
>>
>>9702578
Meditation is literally all about learning to see the soul. What is all this shit about glowing orbs, are you guys retarded?
>>
>>9702584
imagining what the soul looks like and "seeing" the soul through meditation are two completely different things.
>>
>>9702586
Only if you're deeply confused.
>>
Drop of water. When you die it goes back into the sea.
>>
>>9702549
Don't worry anon, I get what you're on about.
>>
>>9702530
Wtf you gtfo asshole
>>
>>9702591
Honestly the most accurate description. Either this Anon is versed in Islamic mysticism, or Hindu philosophy.
>>
>>9702612
Blavatsky and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Pretty much all you need to know.
>>
>>9702519
The soul and consciousness are two different things. The consciousness is a manifestation of the soul connecting with the body. The most detailed analysis of the consciousness came from Pandit Gopi Krishna, an enlightened Indian man who called consciousness as "radiation in the brain" which was impossible to synthesis in a laboratory. Please read his autobiography for further details.

The soul has been known to be circular, not perfectly, though, in shape, and of different colors.

The soul, according to Indian esotericism, has three properties.

And they relate to the human experience in intricate ways.
>>
>>9702519
>My grandmother said she doesn't visualize it at all and the whole concept of visualizing a soul is strange to her
Op btfo
Seriously, imagining glowing balloons attached to your head and baguettes in your chest is pure autism.
>>
>>9702615
I respect you for going through Blavatsky's tomes. They're not the easiest texts. Especially the ones about the scrolls, which are infamous for reasons you know, I'm sure.
However, theosophy's rebellious nature with regard to God puts me off them.
>>
My soul is a violent 6'7, 350 pound oppressed black man that I channel to destroy the unrighteous with my words
>>
>>9702519
My soul is my body and I don't exist in anyway outside of it. Peaceful as fuck desu
>>
>Has anyone ever tried to "describe" a soul
it's kind of hard to describe things that have no evidence of existing in the first place.
>>
>>9702519
a burnt black hand that is holding my heart from falling down into my stomach
>>
>>9702644
I've only read Isis Unveiled. I'm just a pseud, please carry on.
>>
>>9702519
>he thinks souls can be visualized

Jesus, I didn't know it was playground time.
>>
>>9702814
>can't visualize a concept
>doesn't inherently visualize things when talking about them
look, just because you're retarded that doesn't mean everybody else is too
>>
>>9702814
This, seriously, what the fuck. Imagining souls as balloons?

A person's soul is,I think, what defines them. It is their essence. A soul is an abstract concept only conceivable through pure understanding and any attempt at imagining a soul leads to erroneously attaching it to a physical object.
>>
>>9702820
>can't comprehend abstract concepts
>needs a visual aid to understand anything

No anon, you are the retard.
>>
>>9702519
21 grams of depravity
>>
>>9702820
>I don't have actually have an argument
>here, let me twist this into semantics lol
>>
>>9702834
You do realize visualizing things when talking or thinking about them is an inherent human trait and you can't stop it, right? It happens automatically.
>>
>>9702838
It is entirely possible to abstract ideas from objects.
>>
>>9702842
It doesn't have to be an object- it can be literally anything. emotions, colors, smells, objects, memories, parts of objects, it doesn't even have to be concrete, or a lot of different things- visualization is just something humans do.

Visualization aids in our ability to define or categorize things.
>>
>>9702835
Almost a full O
>>
>>9702851
>Visualization aids in our ability to define or categorize things.
I'm not denying that. I'm denying your assertion that it's impossible to stop it or to think of abstract ideas without also visualizing them. You are mixing up pure understanding with imagination.

For example, when I think of God or a soul, no image or anything but a vague idea comes to my mind.
>>
>>9702519
>My grandmother said she doesn't visualize it at all and the whole concept of visualizing a soul is strange to her (which is strange since she's very into religion and philosophers).
That's not strange at all. A soul (if you consider it to be an entity) is a purely spiritual entity. That means it lacks any kind of extent which is only an attribute of physical entities. It's pretty clear you can't visualize something like that.
>Has anyone ever tried to "describe" a soul, or has it always been just a nebulous thing?
In Western philosophy there are basically two concepts of the "soul"; one by Aristotle, the other one by Descartes/Leibniz. The "Cartesian soul" is an entity while the "Aristotelian soul" isn't. An interesting description of a soul (as an entity) and how it works is Leibniz' "Monadology" for example.
The Aristotelian soul is not an entity but the "form of a living/animated thing". You can read about it in "De anima".

Basically, the Aristotelian soul is nowadays considered the more modern concept (although it's a lot older), since it avoids tremendous problems like the body-mind problem for example - nevertheless, both concepts are metaphysical concepts; that means, you cannot falsify or verify them.
>>
>>9702860
Hm. Maybe I'm lumping in "vague idea" with visualization. But usually, even a vague idea has some sort of symbol in your head. Even if that symbol is a blurry white, vaguely human headed lump that you can't really "see".

And even if, it definately isn't childish to have that automatic reaction, nor is it stupid. A "soul" is arguably one of the most important human concepts and something like that, if anything would have some kind of internal shorthand. I guess I can't attest to how many people do it, but it's definitely something I can't turn off.
>>
a 15 foot tall ghost girl that has a rock band
>>
>>9702519
The soul is like a lot of salt in a water solution. You can't see it in normal circumstances but it permeates the whole body with its radiations.
>>
It looks exactly like my body.

But that's not right, really.

It feels exactly like my body.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.