[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: we put forward the best writers of our country and suggest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

ITT: we put forward the best writers of our country and suggest why others should read them.
>>
Not really the best but I can say my favourites

Australia

>John Kinsella
Known for his 'anti-pastoral' poems about rural life in the wheat belt in Western Australia. Lots of natural imagery and symbolism, very subversive and occasionally political. Harold Bloom ate his ass in the introduction to his selected poems if that means much to any of you.

>Patrick White
If you like modernism then White is near the peak in Australia. His novel 'Voss' is a good place to start, an epic retelling of the first white man's journey into the centre of the continent. Lots of stuff about predestination, destiny, God, culture, morality, leadership, cowardice etc.

>Dorothy Porter
Influential poet in the 90s/early 2000s. Known for her verse novels, notably 'The Monkeys Mask' (amongst other things a very good satire of certain slices of Sydney life in the 90s) and 'wild surmise' a sort of extended love poem with lots of ecology/landscape/space imagery.
>>
>>9691952
OP, you best be a subject of the glorious Austro-Hungarian empire and a native German speaker.
>>
File: Heine.jpg (37KB, 290x466px) Image search: [Google]
Heine.jpg
37KB, 290x466px
since "the best" is subjective I'll post my favorite

>why other should read them
If you read german go read everything he ever wrote, Heine is witty and poetic and his satire is brilliant
If you don't I'd say don't bother with it (is he even translated?) except you have a good knowledge of german history/cities since most of his references would prob. fly over your head
>>
>>9691952
That meme is so bad its good.
>>
>>9693399

i don't get it
>>
>>9691952
Jon Fosse
Cus he a dope nigga
>>
>>9694895
>not Hamsun
also, does fosse translate well?
>>
For a contemporary one, check out Christian Kracht.
>>
Sorry OP, there's no discernible talent in Canada.
>>
>>9692050
>is pic related The Bible?
>>
>>9691952
>Burgerland

For poetry, read you some leaves of grass. Great comfy reading and reflective thought on American life, and life in general.

For prose read you some Pynchon. Vineland is great, friendly to average readers and avid readers alike. Enjoyable prose with hilarious scenes and wild characters and scenarios in general. A fun time while getting a glimpse at American and even world politics.
>>
>>9694940
No idea. Her daughter is my waifu though.
>tfw she's friendzoned everyone
>>
>>9694868
Those people are from an Australian comedy called The Castle, which has nothing to do with Kafka but is also about a bureaucracy, trying to repossess someones house
>>
>>9694960
Sokolov was from Canada
>>
>>9692050
What do you think about Xavier Herbert?

>>9694960
See >>9696359 as well as Michael Ondaatje, Mordechai Richler, Al Purdy, Margaret Atwood or even Leonard Cohen. I'm not even a big fan of our local literature but to say that there is no discernible talent in Canada is ignorant as fuck. Sure we don't have "classics" from Canada but we're only colonially 150 years old. It's kind of hard comparing late 19th and 20th century literature with something that has stood the test of time for multiple centuries when Canada in its current state hasn't even existed that long.
>>
>>9694966
Sounds like Voss
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.