[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>odyssey crosses the ocean and comes to Hades >mfw his

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

>odyssey crosses the ocean and comes to Hades
>mfw his mother comes, Patroclus comes, Achilles comes, Hercules comes
>mfw he loses his friends when Scylla and Charybdis eat them
what a ride.
so much better than the Iliad
>>
It really is great. I'm reading it in the original Greek now. It's even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvVWiDsPWQ&
>>
>>9690875
Out of the two most famous ancient superhero stories, I prefer this one.
>>
File: 1453942227393.jpg (37KB, 474x293px) Image search: [Google]
1453942227393.jpg
37KB, 474x293px
>>9690875
Recently read the Iliad (english, shortened version of I. A. Richards, bretty gud) after being an avid fan of the Odyssey for a long time (read it first in icelandic, superb translation by Sveinbjörn Egilsson), and although the Iliad is good, the Odyssey is just so much better. I agree with you, the interactions of the gods in the Iliad with the amazing descriptions of battles between the heroes just fades in comparison to the journey in the Odyssey.

>playing a male gigolo for some witch
>hustin' for supplies from a young princess in some city state
>outwitting and blinding the cyclops
>random trip to hell (Hades)
>listening to the sirens, the absolute madman!
>overwhelmingly defeating some (elite) kids in sports
>that epic home-coming scene where he kills everyone with his son

Truly a masterpiece of literature.
>>
>>9690916
The whole
>let's kill Helios' cattle, we'll build a shrine when we come to Ithaca
>wtf Helios they are killing your cattle
>damn wtf Zeus you just gonna let them
>nah bruv check it out

was hilarious
>>
>>9690875
>>9690916
I've got this feeling that I wouldn't like the Iliad from the parts I've read years ago in school.
The Odyssey at the contrary always intrigued me.
Do you think it would be a big blow in understanding the greeks if I don't read the Iliad after I'm done with Mythology?
>>
>>9690926
Yeah. Just get selected readings of the Iliad. It's the only one my library had, and I didn't miss out on much.
But do read the Odyssey in fully.
>>
>>9690875
The only real downside is all the shit with Odysseus spying on the suitors. It goes on for fucking half the book.
>>
>>9690926
What do you mean by Mythology? If you have a introductory book to the panthenon of the greeks then you will probably have a much better understanding than just reading the Iliad and Odyssey. Don't take me wrong, definitely read the Iliad, it is very good, I am just heavily biased towards the Odyssey. You need to read the Iliad to experience the tragedy of Hector's/Troy's downfall and the Achilles' vanity/superiority. If only for that shield chapter, holy shit. Just be sure to get a good translation, I can recommend the I. A. Richards one I mentioned.

Otherwise, understanding the greeks is barely possible since we are so far away from them in time. They were a aristocratic indo-european derived warrior society that had no technology available to us. Plus, I have suspicion that their mythology and mysteries were heavily mushroom derived (amanitas, psilocybin, ergot) which further distances us from them. But I digress, please read the Iliad.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1aBt-_Zs4

The only way to truly appreciate The Odyssey
>>
>>9690926
>>9690932
I'm probably gonna get it in my native language (italian) but thanks for the answers, I'll probably try and read it. I'm just afraid it'll be very numbing for some reason and I don't want to start seeing it as a chore.
>>
>>9690939
If you like reading at all it will probably be an ecstatic experience since a prose translation from ancient greek is amazing. When I read it for the first time in Icelandic it started my appreciation for the aesthetics/beauty of language.

Just don't be intimidated by the number of names in the Iliad, re-reading later when you have a grasp of the gods and the most known heroes will make it so much rewarding.
>>
>>9690933
>that fucking tune
How can Joyce compete?
>>
>>9690875
WTF I enjoyed the Iliad waayyyyy more than The Odyssey. I think I just liked the characterization and plot of The Iliad more.
>inb4 plot pleb
>>
>>9690946
I agree. You can't get too hung up on all the names, most of them are characters who are only mentioned in the next few lines. It does help to remember the main heroes and their squires though, and a basic knowledge of Greek mythology is a huge boon.

I just read both The Iliad and The Odyssey for the first time in the last two weeks (starting with the Greeks) and I must say I enjoyed both equally. For me the best parts of The Iliad were definitely the interactions between the gods and seeing how human and flawed they were.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170628-212048.png (59KB, 860x287px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170628-212048.png
59KB, 860x287px
>>9690933
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.