[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people actually think this is dystopic compared to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: bnw.jpg (54KB, 301x452px) Image search: [Google]
bnw.jpg
54KB, 301x452px
Do people actually think this is dystopic compared to the current world?
>>
>>9688817
Overrated piece of crap.
>>
>>9688817

>Another one of these threads

BNW, 1984, et al have some level of accuracy in their foresight. Huxley's universe is a little more comparative to the modern day, where instant gratification and endless distraction have a stronghold over society.
>>
>>9688817
At the time it was dystopian, in another 100 years it will be considered an optimistic view of the future.
>>
>>9688831
Huxly's vision of the future is scary since its happening so slowly that no one is noticing or challenging it.
>>
Using Pavlovian conditioning on newborns isn't fucking dystopian to you? It is reprehensible even when used on dogs.
>>
>>9688817

Some do, some don't. I think Huxley intended for there to be ambiguity and debate.

One could argue that free will (or the illusion of- whatever) is an important feature of fulfilling life. Who better to choose how best to live our lives than ourselves?
>>
>>9688858
If you think the world he creates is scary compared to ours you're living a very privileged life desu.

A lot of people would happily take a peaceful safe world were you're healthy and taken care off and don't have to worry about starving.
>>
>>9688919

Huxley envisioned a society where humans were deprived of intrinsic values which truly makes us human, brought about by our own devices, done so in the name of convenience and never-ending pleasure. But if pleasure is the only feeling that truly does and can exist, it becomes not pleasure, but normalcy.
>>
>>9688941
Still a hell of a lot better than suffering.
>>
>>9688944
Yeah, but if you don't suffer, even temporarily, there's no justification to pleasure. Hence why the kids were conditioned to find joy in death. That's kind of the point of the book.
>>
>>9688863
It seemed to make people more well adapted than our current culture/educational system manages to do.
>>
>>9688831
I don't like it that when one book gets brought up somebody has to compare it to the other. There are more fictional dystopias than these two, many of them are more realistic or interesting, and OP didn't even make the comparison himself. >Another one of these threads.

>>9688863
Boo hoo, life has lemons.
>>
Its not dystopian, cause in the end of the day, the characters of the book are happy and we are here suffering, stuck on 4chan for life, no matter what you say we are just trying to convince ourselves that we have some kind of purpose, honor or any other kind of hacking of the reality(kinda like what was described by camus on the first chapter of myth of sisyphus) so we can go on, before we die or get courage to commit suicide. I'd just like to have soma pumping on me all day long.
>>
>>9689101
that and pneumatic slags
>>
File: bad_birds.jpg (132KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bad_birds.jpg
132KB, 600x600px
Every society will become dystopian as long as the people living in it believe that it can be improved.
>>
File: machine_stops.jpg (20KB, 301x475px) Image search: [Google]
machine_stops.jpg
20KB, 301x475px
desu pic related was the most 'relevant' dystopic lit ive read
>>
>>9688957
I already find joy in the idea of death though.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.