[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the consensus here on this book? Is it as life-changing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: becker.jpg (261KB, 1598x2543px) Image search: [Google]
becker.jpg
261KB, 1598x2543px
So what's the consensus here on this book? Is it as life-changing as I've heard it is? Should young neurotic men read it?
>>
who told you to read this, your mom or your therapist?
>>
>>9688727
It's one of the most penetrating books I've ever read, although truth be told the main gist of it could probably be boiled down to a few pages, or even a sentence: Humans are animals that are aware of their own mortality, of the fact that for all the transcendence and mystery of consciousness, they are also tied to vulnerable fleshy bodies that suffer and will eventually pass into the mystery of death, and much or even most of the human psyche, including both the everyday narrative which people tend to unconsciously run on and the psychological structure of society and civilization as a whole, is a complex of defense mechanisms that keeps people from the full awareness of this.
Is it life-changing? I don't know. It may make you more aware of the lengths to which you go in order to avoid facing the issue of death. I think it can have a sort of stabilizing effect in that many intelligent people already probably suspect a lot of what the book alleges, and there is a certain relief in actually bringing the matter to one's conscious intellectual attention.
Should young neurotic men read it? I don't know. I read it when I was young and neurotic, and it didn't do any damage, at least.
>>
I started reading it after seeing it referenced in Ligotti's CATHM. Although it was a bit heavy on psychoanalysis so I switched to Freud as pre-reading. Wpuld like to hear others views.
>>
>>9688727
That New York Times Book Review quote on the cover...
>A brave work of electrifying intelligence and passion, optimistic and revolutionary, destined to endure.
>optimistic and revolutionary, destined to endure
>optimistic and revolutionary
>optimistic
Huh? I mean, I wouldn't call it pessimistic, but to call it optimistic is rather strange.
>>
>>9689332
High quality post. It didn't change my life since not much in it seemed new to me, but I liked reading it, and I'll probably read it again soon.
>>9689416
Unironically blame normalfags.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.