[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Delillo? The reception I've seen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: poster-white_noise.jpg (203KB, 563x854px) Image search: [Google]
poster-white_noise.jpg
203KB, 563x854px
What does /lit/ think of Delillo? The reception I've seen on this board has been mixed but personally, I think White Noise is a great, comfy read. It's humorous (Heinrich's conversations reminds me of when I was a pseud teenager), has a lot of philosophical musing which I'm always open to, evokes an atmosphere that I feel is a more total representation of late-20th century and 21st century living than most books covering similar themes. I have yet to read his other books, but White Noise is pretty solid

Does anyone else feel like the book is a good supplement to "Society of the Spectacle?" I need to read both again to make sure but it seems like the events and prose of "White Noise" is a good representation of spectacular living.
>>
>>9688367
Reading White noise currently, just up to part 3 after the airborne toxic event. Some of the chapters in part 1 were well done, others not so much. Overall, interested to see where it goes from here.
>>
>>9688367
I really like White Noise and I think it's fairly obvious that is what Delillo will be read for in the future. I didn't like Underworld nearly as much, but I would still like to read Libra at some point in my life.

Delillo is a really weird author and I think it's fair that reactions to him are polarized. His writing style of making connections between aspects of modern life will be very hit and miss and it will look like he's trying way too hard to be deep when he misses
>>
I didn't like White Noise at all. I didn't find it funny or insightful, just cringey outdated 80s talking points. I can get it if you live in a flyover state it might still seem relevant, but otherwise Delillo is overrated as fuck.
>>
bitch
>>
>>9688367
Just really comfy and enjoyable read. It's one of those books where the plot is secondary to the tone, I reckon. The prose isn't anything special. But it's just nice. It's about nice stuff. Has some interesting thoughts in it, too.
>>
Still relevant. What are the big topics today? Pomo. Fascism. Climate change. Cultural Marxism. Yada yada.

Also Zizek has mentioned the point made in the penultimate chapter at least 1000 times without mentioning this novel. (Also zizek is Murray).

What I don't agree with is the whole fear of death angle. people are totally suicidal today. Yet society still functions.
>>
>>9690256
>people are totally suicidal today

I still can't divorce the contemporary popularity of hiking with the idea of it being some suicide trial run. It's a pretty easy way to end your life, to wander off into the forest.
>>
File: 1495074522619.jpg (116KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495074522619.jpg
116KB, 600x600px
>>9688534
>outdated 80s talking points
>pic related
>>9690256
well that's the sheer beauty of delillo's mind. he practically invented that perception, that fear of death as a national impression. when you read that sentiment that's just donny d's fantasy.

what's cringe is when /lit/ talk about white noise thinking it's a critique. tear up remembering that
>>
>>9688367

The only book by him that I read was Libra but it was pretty good. I appreciated the subtly of some of the motifs and ideas, they were not spoonfood to the reader.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.