[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the consensus of this Borges translation? Which is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2662.jpg (30KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2662.jpg
30KB, 310x475px
What's the consensus of this Borges translation? Which is preferred? I always hear Thomas Norman di Giovanni is preferred, but I was curious about this one. (The Irby Translation)
>>
whatever you do don't get the collected fictions, the translation is mediocre at best and wrong at worst and has these annoying asterisks to mark the notes
>>
>>9684917
Hey I picked that one up at Goodwill the other day
>>
Only Giovanni is accepted.
>>
di Giovanni worked with Borges personally to translate the stories as closely as possible.
>>
File: 81Nzs+-gJ3L.jpg (396KB, 1473x2169px) Image search: [Google]
81Nzs+-gJ3L.jpg
396KB, 1473x2169px
I got this, did I fuck up?
Haven't read any yet.
>>
>>9685521
i dont like the translations in comparison to labyrinths
>>
>>9685172
Really why?
>>
i cant find di giovanni translations on amazon.
someone help plz or epub or pdf
>>
everyone's being unhelpfully meme-y. That collection has probably the best translations after Giovanni
>>
>>9685521
see >>9685166
also see a reddit thread where everyone recommends that edition
>>
>>9685569
I too would appreciate this
>>
>>9684917
That's the translation I read and I loved it.
>>
>>9684917
that's a pretty good translation. stay away from Andrew Hurley, I've heard. Never read Giovanni, is he truly the only acceptable? Irby did a pretty fine job.
>>
>>9685664
how else are you supposed to read all his stories printed in English
>>
>>9686054
you could search out Giovanni or other misc editions to find them. Irby and Giovanni are probably the better ones. Just stay away from Hurley
>>
>>9684917
just read it in spanish...pleb.
>>
>>9686110
have you read in both Spanish and English? care to compare?
>>
>>9686074
those are impossible to find and are not in digital form last time i checked
>>
>>9686144
Might just have to settle with what's published. Either that, or learn Spanish.
>>
File: 316.jpg (22KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
316.jpg
22KB, 680x680px
FUCKING BITCH STACY WINDOW PREVENTING THE GIOVANNI TRANSLATIONS FROM BEING PUBLISHED
>>
>>9686228
widow*
>>
>>9685569
>>9685810
>>9686074
>>9686144
The place that offered this is down,
should be all the Giovanni translations of his fiction:
https://a.uguu.se/FgcLL6nxG37w.epub
>>
>>9686296
noice
>>
>>9686296
thanks, anon
>>
>>9686074
did irby do anything other than the labyrinths paperback? i can't find one with him as the sole translator
>>
too bad Borges' too autistic to develop characters

that and the whole meta-realworld universes he creates, it's cool, it's not even lit
>>
>>9686296
>>9686228

https://web.archive.org/web/20090704140516/http://www.digiovanni.co.uk:80/borges/the-missing-borges-%28iii%29.htm
archived pages of the translations he put up on his website before being ordered to have them taken down.
>>
>>9684917
Labyrinths and the English translation of Ficciones are great. di Giovanni's translations are obviously good too, but the difference between them isn't that obvious. One could argue that labyrinths is better or etc.
>>
>>9686423
Including some unpublished ones, which I thought were already included in the epub above but actually the other pieces from the maker collection are not
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.