[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I increase my focus while reading? I get distracted really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 00000000.jpg (120KB, 708x741px) Image search: [Google]
00000000.jpg
120KB, 708x741px
How do I increase my focus while reading? I get distracted really easily can't really read for more than 15 minutes at a time.
>>
I blare white noise so no other sounds can distract me and read in a closed room where the only furnishings are a chair, a footstool, and a lamp.
>>
probably because your job doing viral marketing on social media has rotted your brain
>>
File: 1385103859105.png (32KB, 329x328px) Image search: [Google]
1385103859105.png
32KB, 329x328px
>>9684759
>I blare white noise so no other sounds can distract me
>except the white noise

Stop it.
>>
>>9684759

Start taking notes while you read. I don't mean marginalia either. Like, actual detailed notes on a pad of paper.
>>
>>9684759
Grimes is so fucking sexy.
>>
The only way is to increase your attention span like you would a muscle. Set a two year goal.

Go to the store and buy a timer.

Month 1: Read every night for 5 minutes using the timer. Don't be overconfident. You must start slowly.

Month 2: 7 minutes.
At this rate, by month 24, you will be able to read for 4 straight hours a night, never once looking up from the book, completely oblivious of the non-book world.
>>
>>9684759
I want Grimes, who is objectively the best female artist of the 21st century, to take a shit on a paper plate so that I can eat it up.

To answer your question, though, just find books about subjects that you're interested in. Try to set goals for yourself, like reading a certain number of pages or chapters a day. You're definitely welcome to read more if you're enjoying the book though. Also, try to free yourself from distractions if you can help it.
>>
>>9684759
I had this problem. I had to learn to overcome it when I went to college.

I believe that concentration is a learnable skill, although each person has different limits. You just need to keep reading and it will become easier and easier, both because you will be more used to it, and because you will (eventually) start to appreciate writing for its aesthetic qualities and thus find it pleasurable to read (and so easier to read for long periods of time).

I found the following helps:
1. Read what interests you if possible, rather than 'for knowledge'.
2. Break up reading into discrete chunks with a short break (e.g. 10 pages).
3. Time how long it takes you to complete a chunk and work out based on that how long it will take you to finish the whole thing. This lets you schedule reading in a manageable and nonintimidating way.
4. Stop being a faggot.

>>9685605
ikr
>>
>>9684759

lot of spaghetti for a small girl!
>>
>>9684759
Stop being a grimgramposter
>>
>>9684759
This is natural. Just accept that focus, in reading or anything else, comes in bursts. Use your 15-30 minutes of focus and the take a 3 minute break. Learn how your focus works.
>>
>>9685594
No, don't take notes. Taking notes leads to writing down unrelated ideas, thinking you're a writer and looking things up and getting WAY distracted.
>>
read books you actually like and stop lying to yourself desu
>>
>>9685504
are you retarded?
>>
>>9685594
that just seems like a distraction.

>>9684759
My advice, something I've been working on lately, is to close the book when you lose your attention and try to think and remember the details of what you just read.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.